We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aer Lingus - schedules?

Cardiff
reviews: 84
Aer Lingus - schedules?

Hi there,

We are hoping to make a booking to the States for later in the year. The regional flights from Cardiff are not out yet for later than October 26. The thing is unless the timings are correct then I may as well get it booked with another airline and end up doing the treck up to London. For some reason the larger U.K. airports like Manchester and Birmingham get released sooner.

Have given Aer Lingus a call but they were non-commital - any ideas when the flights were released last year, so I have some clue rather than checking their website all the time.

Why do they make it so difficult when all the other major airlines release flights for up to 11 months in advance?

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

Because regional routes are often watched for pax numbers etc and if not profitable dropped from the winter schedule.

This is why they are non committal and probably are deciding wheather to continue the route during the winter or if maybe it should be a reduced service.

I would expect you to know one way or the other by the middle of April at the latest.

:-)

Cardiff
2. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

Hi Family-Parry,

Thanks for replying to my post. I can see what you're saying about the numbers etc., however they've just increased the number of flights to Dublin due to pax numbers, obviously this may drop off in the Winter.

It's a great link between Wales and the U.S. rather than Amsterdam, which I used to use a lot but KLM lost my luggage so many times I've given up on them.

Think they may have to do something with the schedule though if they're going to compete with other airlines, think it may be to do with their partnership with Jet Blue also.

Hopefully you're right about it being sorted by mid April.

Thanks again.

Romford, United...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

valleygirlCardiff

agree with you on using Dublin as a hub to the states-using Aer Lingus Regional from SEN-DUB myself in a few weeks time before going onto the states-the only drawback I can find is luggage allowance on these flights are 20kgs as opposed to 23kgs for DUB-US but on the plus side for me the carrier imposed fees and taxes including the dreaded APD is only £58 at DUB as opposed to £388 at LHR

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
4. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

Don't look at the "fees and taxes", look at the price you pay

Romford, United...
5. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

Alanrow

Yes I did look at the prices

AA DUB-SNA £395 return

AA LHR-SNA £701 return

cost from local airport £95 return thus saving £80 each way on cabs to/from LHR,don't have to get up at 3am to get to airport,don't have to wait 5 hours for connecting flight in Chicago and can pre-clear US INS/Customs in Dublin so I arrive as a domestic passenger saving about 2 hours

Yes it's a bad deal!!

Cardiff
6. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

Think the U.K. flights as a whole because of the high APD will be loseing out. Think I saw somewhere that the actual airlines, e.g. BA and the likes are trying to get this tax reduced - stops people wanting to travel to the U.K.

We travel to the U.S. every year and we really think we're going to give Aer Lingus a go - just wish they'd hurry up with their regional schedules for the Winter months.

Take a look at them on airline quality web site - they seem to be getting good reviews, especially when you compare them to the reviews of the American airlines.

Romford, United...
7. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

valleygirlCardiff

Aer Lingus Regional arrive Dublin at T1 and International flights go from T2(a 4 minute walk) however you need to collect your luggage/go through customs and the re-enter the system for your onward flight so you should allow time for this

Cardiff
8. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

Hi 289jumper,

I have read somewhere this week that our cases would go straight through from Cardiff - course I may be mistaken. It could be due to the fact that some of the flights do pre-clearance in Dublin. They've also just announced their code share deal with Jet Blue in the States and they will be going into the Jet Blue terminal 5 from April 3rd.

The 8.35 out of Cardiff doesn't get into Dublin for and hour, then collect bags and re-check and walk to T2 and do pre-clearance - just not enough time as the flight to JFK leaves at 10.45.

May have to have a re-think.

Romford, United...
9. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

valleygirlCardiff

Sorry not aware of Jet Blue tie up so can't comment on procedure they have adopted,can only refer you to the Dublin Airport website and the video on pre-clearance

Looks like a good alliance

Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 3
10. Re: Aer Lingus - schedules?

<Aer Lingus Regional arrive Dublin at T1 and International flights go from T2(a 4 minute walk) however you need to collect your luggage/go through customs and the re-enter the system for your onward flight so you should allow time for this>

If you're flight from the UK to US with Aer Lingus is booked on the one ticket then your bags will be checked through to your end destination. Also, the walk from Aer Lingus Regional area of Dublin T1 to T2 is closer to 10-15 minutes but at least you won't have to clear security and go landside. I'm almost certain that if you're flying transatlantic then your luggage allowance will be at the transatlantic limit and not the Aer Lingus Regional limit. Basically, if the Aer Lingus website facilitates your through booking from UK to US on the one ticket then you shouldn't worry about transit time because the airline has deemed it enough time to make the connection and will look after you in the unlikely event that you experience a missed connection. Just wait for the winter timetable to be loaded and make your booking then, you're unlikely to be missing out on any deals anyway because airlines don't usually do promotions so far in advance.

Edited: 5:49 pm, March 25, 2013