We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flying to Oz with kids, is it good to break up the flight?

london
reviews: 1
flying to Oz with kids, is it good to break up the flight?

Hi

I have just about decided which airline to fly but my I am flying to Sydney from London with my 5 year old and can't decide whether to break the flight in Singapore and stay over two days on the way there and back in order for us to rest and to not make the journey so tedious. For those that have flown with kids would you recommend breaking up the flight or flying direct. I would be really grateful for any advice from seasoned long haul travellers.

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: flying to Oz with kids, is it good to break up the flight?

I'd say it depends on the kids more as well as time constraints. Does stopping in Singapore or somewhere else reduce time at your destination?

For longhaul travel like this I generally prefer to do it all in one hit but then I don't get jetlag and fly business or first class for longhaul so breaking the journey is just a waste of time.

If your kids haven't been to Singapore there are a few things to do on your stay, can turn it into another holiday almost.

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
2. Re: flying to Oz with kids, is it good to break up the flight?

I agree with OP. For long haul, I prefer to get it over as quick as possible. But, if you can shake it without disrupting the main portion of your trip, I'd 100% go for a 48 hour layover in Singapore. Who wouldn't want a chance at some of those hawker stands?!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 1
3. Re: flying to Oz with kids, is it good to break up the flight?

As a mum who has travel alot with kids long haul , my advise is to go direct , breaking the trip just makes tired cranky kids , you have a very long day the first day of travel , with being at the airport atleast 3 hours before the flight, 10 + hours of flying , then doing customs and imigration at the the stop over point , you just get over one flight, then you have to do it all again a day or 2 later, flying directly to your destination is the best , the flight from the U.K.to Aust. is long enough for a 5 year making it longer just prolongs the agony ( for parents and kids )

Edited: 5:08 pm, March 20, 2013
Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 14
4. Re: flying to Oz with kids, is it good to break up the flight?

This is a very peronal decision but my advice is absolutely stop over!

When we have flown to Europe with our kids we almost always stop over and only 1 time did we go striaght through. It was the worst trip by far. I try to get day time flights and find that the short break is a welcome relief from the tedious plane trip. Immigration formalities in Singapore are so fast that you will be sitting in a taxi on your way to your hotel in no time. No need to worry about that.

Make sure there is a pool and something interesting close by so that you can relax or sight see or sleep or whatever you need. I love my stopover time and consider it to be a vital part of my holiday. I don't think of it as time that I'm missing from my destination at all.

The time that we had to continue right through we certainly had tired and cranky kids - but we were stuck on a plane for another 14 hours - then when we finally arrived everyone was so exhausted the first day was completely wasted anyway. I find that with a stop over you do the resting before you get to the exhausted point and arrive feeling so much better.

Edited: 5:23 pm, March 20, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
reviews: 20
5. Re: flying to Oz with kids, is it good to break up the flight?

I personally would always choose a stopover, but my hubby prefers to fly through! What we have found to be the best (assuming you are flying economy) is to do a night flight out of the UK and then stopover and try and get a day time flight to Oz, arriving later in the day rather than at the crack of dawn.

I know Singapore Air have such flights - leave LHR at 10pm arrive in to Singapore at about 6pm, overnight at the airport hotel, then connect to the day flight the next morning. That's the way I would do it.....Cheers, Haggis

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 119
6. Re: flying to Oz with kids, is it good to break up the flight?

love love love a stopover. Singapore is such a family friendly city, too.

I think 48hrs is great to stop over there. your child can get some sleep on a proper bed.

Singapore is so clean & organised, great wirh kids.

7. Re: flying to Oz with kids, is it good to break up the flight?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 23, 2014