We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What happens if you miss your flight?

Winchester...
reviews: 72
What happens if you miss your flight?

We nearly missed our flight out of Rome this Monday - we were just returning our rental car to Maggiore at about 11:30AM for a 12:05PM flight to Munich. These were just regular economy tickets on Lufthansa - I was just wondering, what happens with Economy class tickets if you miss your flight? I'm glad we didn't find out. :-) Do airlines generally give you credit of any kind or would we have had to just spend another $2,000 to get home to Boston?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
1. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

You are simply a no show and have to purchase a new ticket as the original ticket will be cancelled with no refund/credit in nearly all cases that I know off..

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
2. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

Yep, a no show and a fat wallet for on the day prices. You have GOT to leave more time than that to return a car and make your flight.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 125
3. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

Is it still the same if you leave say 4-5 hours between connecting flights (different airlines), & you miss your connecting flight due to a technical problem or the 1st flight being cancelled

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
4. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

What matters is whether or not the two flights are on the same ticket, not whether they are with the same airline. If they're not on one ticket, the previous answer applies.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
5. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

Hi

If you miss your flight then generally speaking you have to pay for a new ticket. I missed one a few weeks ago by a mere seven hours and had to pay again.

Jackie

Winchester...
6. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

I guess I'm glad I didn't know that when we were stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the GRA. :-)

I'm the sort of person who usually arrives many hours in advance of a flight, and I'm rarely late, for anything. At a certain age though it gets to the point where one no longer wants to waste time waiting to board a plane. I told my wife after we caught the flight that we should cut it close everytime, because it worked so well. She didn't think the suggestion was funny. :-)

Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
7. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

I don't think my wife would have found that funny, either ;)

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
8. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

If the traffic was bad enough to make a news bulletin or internet traffic news some insurance policies will pay out.

I know mine does. But generally try and leave more time is the best idea!

:-)

Edited: 4:54 pm, March 20, 2013
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
9. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

"I'm the sort of person who usually arrives many hours in advance of a flight, and I'm rarely late, for anything. At a certain age though it gets to the point where one no longer wants to waste time waiting to board a plane."

I like many others always allow plenty of time but equally don't enjoy hanging around airports but whats a couple of hours reading a paper/having a coffee compared to the cost of a new flight especially long haul.

Remember that missing any flight will normally mean all subsequent flights on that ticket will also be cancelled - could be really expensive if you miss an outbound flight.

Winchester...
10. Re: What happens if you miss your flight?

To be honest, if I had known that a ticket for a missed flight had no residual value (I'm still not convinced of this but I'll take everyone's word for it. :-) )we would have reverted to our usual practice of staying at a motel near FCO on the night before our flight (we drove up from Salerno).

We also made a big mistake at the start of our trip, trying to drive directly to Le Marche even after our flight was delayed getting to Rome, and getting lost in the middle of nowhere, unable to find our B&B (we felt fortunate to find a hotel off the highway with a desk clerk at 1 AM).