We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best airline experience to Italy

Ukiah, California...
reviews: 1
Best airline experience to Italy

We will be traveling from the west coast to Tuscany and Amalfi in the fall. We are looking for the best airline to travel on. Any suggestions?

New Delhi, India
reviews: 23
1. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

What class of travel are you looking at?

Ocean City, MD
reviews: 7
2. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

I see from your other post, you would like to visit Tuscany and the Amalfi areas. You might want to look into 'open jaw' flights, i.e. say into Florence and return to US from Rome. (Naples doesn't usually have US friendly flights.) Rome's Termini is 70 mins by fast train (43 Euro p/p without any discounts) to Naples Airport, from there you can go by bus(s) or private driver to the Amalfi Coast.

www.kayak.com will 'track' flights with various airlines and email you with prices, you just plug in your dates and departure/arrival airport here in the states. The are not a booking agency, I book my air travel directly thru the airline.

What time of the year are you planning on visiting?

Limerick, Ireland
3. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

Consider Aerlingus.com via ORD and DUB

onward flights to BLQ -FCO and / or NAP

Also Youtube following

" U.S. CUSTOMS AT DUBLIN AIRPORT "

Limerick, Ireland
4. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

more info : Dublinairport.com /

email : information.queries@daa.ie

Ukiah, California...
5. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

Either coach or business. We want a comfortable flight experience but need to balance it out with cost. It sounds like business class would be great if it is not too expensive. Any particular airlines to recommend or just look for best rates and flight times?

Edited: 12:57 pm, March 20, 2013
Jacksonville...
reviews: 199
6. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

What do you consider too expensive? I like DL to Italy.

On another note, what's with all the Aer Lingus stuff!??!?! I'm starting to see this on EVERY thread!

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 140
7. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

Check out the various flight schedules and prices on skyscanner and Matrix

htp://matrix.itasoftware.com

Winchester...
reviews: 66
8. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

I would not fly Alitalia, otherwise I don't think it much matters. We just flew back on Lufthansa and I must say, that's a nice, old school airline.

You should definitely consider open jaw. I have no idea why anyone would say that "Naples doesn't usually have US friendly flights". Is non-stop to Italy even an option from the west coast? I just looked on kayak and see that you can fly non-stop to Munich or Frankfurt on Lufthansa and then on to Venice, Rome, Naples, etc. So you could fly to Venice, take the train to Florence, pick up a car there (or just use the train), then to Rome, then to Naples, and return from there.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 34
9. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

Second that opinion of thomas144- do not pick Alitalia as your airline.

Just search Alitalia on the forums here and you will know why!

Frankln Park PA
10. Re: Best airline experience to Italy

I flew Alitalia JFK to Milan and the Rome to JFK. We didn't check any luggage and flew in premium economy. Aside from the inattentive flight attendants, everything about our flights were great and on time. I have read horror stories about the lost luggage, which is why I traveled with a carry on only. We traveled the length of Italy, from Venice to Naples by train and it was easy and fast. Premium economy is super comfortable but is not fully lie-flat, but you can see the seats and how they work on the Alitalia website.

Edited: 2:21 pm, March 21, 2013