We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

Blytheville...
Level Contributor
274 posts
5 reviews
Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

I must say I am quite shocked at the price of airfare from the USA to Ireland. My travel agent has been checking prices for me lately and can't find anything under $1400 per person. Having never flown to Ireland before, I really wasn't quite sure what to expect, price wise - but this just seems really high. (It isn't as we're flying to Australia for pete's sake). Sadly our dates aren't flexible due to my husband's job.

Am I starting too early with trying to find tickets? Do fares usually go up or down on international flights as it gets closer to the departure date? Should I be waiting a while before buying my tickets, or is it wiser to do this pretty far in advance for the best price? Lots of questions, I know. This has put a bit of a damper on my excitement of planning our trip. However, we are taking the trip one way or another. I just wish I didn't have to pay out the nose for airfare.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
11,244 posts
182 reviews
1. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

It's August. Peak travel time. Not sure what kind of fares you were expected but to me $1400 certainly isn't outragous.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,115 posts
62 reviews
2. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

Summer always has the HIGHEST fares!

If you went now in the spring the price might be half that.

UK
Level Contributor
47,791 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

It's the summer which is peak time so prices are highest. You aren't the only people with job restrictions, you are all contending for a restricted set of flights.

If you read the forum here you'll see lots of people saying "should I buy now or wait?" And the answer is always "search me, if you find a price you like book and don't look back"

You may be able to trim some money off looking at indirect flights, though as i dont think you say where you ar eflying from its hard to know if that's realistic or not.

Edited: 5:58 pm, March 19, 2013
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
199 reviews
4. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

Echoing what everyone else said: summer is peak, and August is peak of the peak! $1,400 is pretty decent, in my opinion. I just shelled out $1,750 to fly coach to Sicily for 2 weeks in August. Count your blessings.

There's a reason I prefer off-season travel--especially when it comes to Europe.

Edited: 6:02 pm, March 19, 2013
Blytheville...
Level Contributor
274 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

I don't really know what I was expecting in the way of airfare. It looks like we'll just have to bite the bullet and pay whatever the fare is. We're actually going at the very end of August. I suppose I figured as that was closing in on the end of summer I thought we may not have to pay quite as much. I guess not.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,752 posts
85 reviews
6. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

Summer is peaktime and this year there was a big push from the authorities to get the American tourists back.

Probably it is working.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
199 reviews
7. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

End of August is still peak. Beginning of September is still peak, depending on the area (it is for Italy).

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
27,956 posts
74 reviews
8. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

I see flights from Memphis via ORD to Dublin on Aer Lingus from under $900 at the end of August. Try your dates then.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
19,250 posts
76 reviews
9. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

Summertime is when the airlines make their money.

Blytheville...
Level Contributor
274 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Airfare USA to Ireland in August. Outrageous!

Thanks for the replies. Ireland has been at the very top of my personal bucket list since I can remember. So my husband promised me this trip to celebrate our 20th anniversary. He may regret it when he sees the cost, but hey how many times do you have a 20th anniversary? ;).