We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

San Francisco...
reviews: 5
Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

I have been totally freezing on the last 3 American Airlines flights I have taken. During the same time frame I was comfortable on flights by United, Virgin America, and Delta. On the last flight I came prepared with a warm jacket, extra pair of wool socks, and gloves - put them all on (adding to the squeezed feeling in the seat) and was still cold. I asked flight attendant for blanket but was told they are only for First class. I was told that they would adjust the temp (I wasn't the only one who was cold) but if it the temp was raised, it didn't have much effect. Have other American Airline passengers noticed this or is it just me? It occurred to me that it may be an attempt to save money but fortunately I will soon have another choice (Virgin America) for nonstop flights from San Jose, CA to Dallas which is a frequent route for me.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
1. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

Temperature control on different planes is always very variable in my experience (and is equally too hot and too cold for me). Not sure what all the factors are, but I have normally found the flight crew sympathetic and will do their best to adjust things. There is only so much they can do, of course.

I tend to always fly with plenty of layers to allow for this sort of thing. I have a friend who travels on business a lot who packs a blanket in her carry-on, in case they don't have any on the plane for her.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 133
2. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

I also always take a pashmina with me now on flights, some are too warm and some are freezing but I think the american companies do tend to be more on the colder side than other airlines.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
3. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

Cabin heat comes from bleed air off of the engines - I don't believe there is any fuel savings by keeping it cooler in the cabin. The heat is being generated regardless. It could be the type of aircraft, where you are sitting in the aircraft, or other random factors that are influencing how warm or cold you are on any given flight.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
4. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

I have been on numerous AA flights and they were usually reasonable. I like the cabin to be cool though so it's obviously a personal preference. Where your seat is located might matter as well as exit row seats tend to be cooler.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
5. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

I doubt it will have been freezing :).

Feeling cold is a personal thing, it would be interesting to know what the temperature actually was. I normally find planes too warm for my liking, so usually wear shorts & short-sleeved shirt

I've never seen anyone wearing gloves on a plane before :)

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
reviews: 13
6. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

One thing I've found that never change on any airlines (even on newer planes) is that until they have heated the dinner the plane is colder.....

Haarlem, The...
reviews: 167
7. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

I took a flight on KLM last week (AMS-Delhi) and it was very cold and I also felt a very cold draft. I was not the only one because I saw several people checking the personal air vents, but they were closed already.

Cabin personnel said they could not change it.

Fortaleza, CE
reviews: 348
8. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

Never have had such a problem with AA flights, international or domestic. You're sure AA flights are different? As noted, guessing it's an attempt to save money shows ufamiliarity with commercial aircraft (now, if they'd left the windows open . . .) "Freezing" obviously a bit of hyperbole, but I have run into what I considered too-cold temps (others may well have disagreed), so I always take a coast or some sort, no matter where I'm traveling to or from. Only time I felt really, really cold, it turne dout I was suffering from food poisoning (that came obious soon after landing).

Edited: 3:19 pm, March 19, 2013
kentucky
reviews: 38
9. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

Great--another dramatization--the cabin was freezing. If you're worried about being cold, bring appropriate clothing or check your circulation.

Edited: 3:46 pm, March 19, 2013
seattle
reviews: 1
10. Re: Freezing Cabin Temp in last 3 flights on American airlines

I would rather it was too cold than too hot. With the former I can alleviate the temperature in a modest manner. Neither I nor my fellow passengers would want the alternative to being too warm.