We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Angeles to Rome

Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Los Angeles to Rome

Interested in going to Rome this August from Los Angeles. I'd like to know how much others have paid in the past for going in August. Does anyone have any tips as to whether its a good time to buy? Or should I wait earlier?

Thanks so much in advance. I'd love to get some responses soon bc I already purchased and only have 24 hrs to cancel

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,407 posts
51 reviews
1. Re: Los Angeles to Rome

Read the top questions as this question gets asked all the time.

Essentially nobody knows when the best time to buy is but summer is peak season. It doesn't really matter what other people paid in the past, airlines have dozens of fares and seasonality and particular markets forces means it doesn't make a jot of difference who paid what to travel when.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
11,203 posts
171 reviews
2. Re: Los Angeles to Rome

Previous fares have no bearing on current fares. There are lots of variable which affect prices. Increase in fuel prices and airlines have cut a lot of transatlantic routes meaning less seats.

August is peak travel time for TATL travel so you will be paying a premium. Start pricing up routes now to give you a feel for the prices and if you see a fare you are happy with then book. Once booked it's best not to look again! ;-)

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Los Angeles to Rome

nothing to do with lax to rome but to show how screwy fares can be....

lax to las with delta 6 months out. mid afternoon fare $200, late night fare $75.

we booked the latter,

now mid afternoon fare $75, late night almost $300!

and according to the seat map we are the only pax on that flight.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,407 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Los Angeles to Rome

and according to the seat map we are the only pax on that flight.

_________

Seat maps being a horrible way of judging how full a flight is.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
49,074 posts
62 reviews
5. Re: Los Angeles to Rome

Summer is HIGH season so fares are always high .

I only travel in the fall and try not to pay more than $1,000 for the ticket.

In summer my friends have paid up to $1400.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,383 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Los Angeles to Rome

well it seems i still have the choice of all of economy seats when i use the select seat option so unless i could sit on someones knee i will take it we are the only pax....so far.

7. Re: Los Angeles to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 20, 2014