We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Budapest train vs air

Scottsdale...
reviews: 98
Venice to Budapest train vs air

Will be traveling from Venice to Budapest at the end of May. it appears there are no overnight trains any longer. Looking at flights RyanAir is by far the least expensive compared to mainstream airlines. Does anyone have recommendations how best to travel between these two cities? Thank you.

kentucky
reviews: 38
1. Re: Venice to Budapest train vs air

Suggets you go to the Venice or Budapest forums. Greta folks in the Budapest forum, for sure--don't know much about Venice ones. Enjoy your travels! PS--buy some paprika and say to Budapest for me!

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
2. Re: Venice to Budapest train vs air

The section of rail between Venice and Vienna (which I imagine would be part of the route) is rated as one of the best 10 train trips in the world. Having done it I would have to say you'd be crazy to fly over the countryside the track passes through - do it in daylight.

Bucks
reviews: 2
3. Re: Venice to Budapest train vs air

There's a good Austrian sleeper train from Venice Santa Lucia (on the very banks of the Grand Canal in central Venice) to Vienna Westbahnhof, Venice depart 20:57, Vienna arrive 08:08.

Fares from €39 with a couchette (simple flat bunk with rug and pillow) or €69 with a bed in a cosy 2-bed sleeper with washbasin, light breakfast included.

Book this sleeper train at www.italiarail.com (easier to use than www.trenitalia.com for this particular train) with ticket collection from the easy-to-use self-service ticket machines at any main Italian station.

Now take the 09:48 Railjet train to Budapest arriving 12:49, fare from €19 booked at www.oebb.at with print-at-home tickets.

Or see something of Vienna and take a later one!

Edited: 2:37 am, March 19, 2013
Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
4. Re: Venice to Budapest train vs air

Man in Seat 61 - I love your work and your website, but to suggest that someone take an overnight train from Venice to Vienna sells the journey short imo. I know that OP mentioned overnighting, but it's one of those trips that just HAS to be done in daylight.

Bucks
reviews: 2
5. Re: Venice to Budapest train vs air

Problem is, Verona-Innsbruck is a long way round, and since Trenitalia pulled out of the two daytime trains, there's nothing but a bus.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 268
6. Re: Venice to Budapest train vs air

12 hours train. That's a lot of time in a train...This being said, it seems you can do it by night train at the end of May (I checked May 24th and 25th): two successive night trains, change in Salzburg at 4am. Alternatively you could fly Air Berlin (One way USD 200 on the same day, change in Berlin).

7. Re: Venice to Budapest train vs air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, March 21, 2014