We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Travel Credit Card

Tempe, Arizona
reviews: 66
Best Travel Credit Card

Hey all, I struggled with which forum this belongs, so correct me if there is a better place:

I've been doing some serious travel the last couple of years, about 25k miles each year - but I don't have a travel credit card. I'm tired of pissing away the miles and rewards I could be earning for something I am going to do anyway. The question: which credit card company/program is the best for travel?

I am not loyal to one carrier over another. I use Southwest for short flights but Delta, British Airways, Jet Blue and US Airways for longer flights. So a card that is supported by multiple airlines is great for me. Any advice would is welcome.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
1. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

Are you talking about a card to use to pay for your travel, or a card to use at your destination? If the latter, do you do international travel at all?

Tempe, Arizona
2. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

A card to book travel, most of my travel is International. I would most likely use the card at the destination for emergencies only.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
3. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

Try googling the words.. branded credit cards travel blog.. and you will get several review and comparison websites. It's not a real simple answer.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
4. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

Presumably you collect Rapid Rewards when flying with Southwest. You could double dip, in a way, by paying for those flights with a card that offers Miles or Points when making purchases - and still collect Rapid Rewards for the flight itself.

DL belong to Skyteam. Have a look at the other airlines with which you could, if you went with Skymiles, use those Miles.. I think DL have recently cut back on the number of Skymiles given to pax for flights in some cabins / classes of service, and as such may not be as useful to you as other products.

Once the AA / US merger is completed, US will drop out of StarAlliance and join oneworld, which has BA in its fold. JetBlue don't belong to any one alliance.

You'll need to decide if you want to lean towards one alliance, or split loyalty between the three major players. You could obtain an airline-specific card, or consider something like an Amex, which will allow you to earn Points for use towards travel with a number of airlines.

It's really up to you which to choose; you'll have to consider the options and select a card or card that suits your needs. Some people are very alliance-loyal and others share the wealth (as it were) and work to maximise Miles accrual with one or two alliances.

You'll need to decide as well if your goal is simply to earn as many Miles or Points as you can or if you want to aim for status in an airline's program.

There is a fair amount of effort needed to make these decisions, but if you're going to use credit cards then ensure you get the most out of them.

Limerick, Ireland
5. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

see forum.......Flyertalk.com /

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Travel Gadgets and Gear
reviews: 202
6. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

Regardless of which credit card you get, you would find far more benefits by keeping your business on one carrier. Your qualifying miles at different benchmark levels will give you significant bonus miles. Combine that with that particular carrier's credit card is by far the best way to go. Granted, you want to fly Southwest and use other carriers internationally. For example, I'm only flying 50-60k a year right now but earning close to 150,000+ miles off just flights (10 domestic tickets) with Delta bonuses and Delta Amex.

Good luck.

Edited: 12:28 am, March 18, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
7. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

I just hate US airways, they are the biggest hub in PHX.

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
8. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

Hi

I have a Hilton Honors credit card which I use for everything, the points given are the most generous I've ever come across. I am going to the USA next month for eight nights and I'm only paying for three of those, the rest are free on points.

They also allow you to have air miles instead of hotel stays but as most of my flights are with European LCC's I don't bother with those.

Jackie

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
9. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

I have a Hilton Honors credit card which I use for everything, the points given are the most generous I've ever come across

--------------

I take it you've not seen the latest "enhancements" to the HHonors scheme.

UK
reviews: 85
10. Re: Best Travel Credit Card

Well the bands for qualification in terms of stays (cant recall if nights as well) have moved up, so last year I just made enough stays to make gold, and this year it will be spending on the card that does that.

Anything else?