We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Value of Avios?

Ledbury, United...
reviews: 13
Value of Avios?

I have collected 82,000 Avios, but it seems that unless one is a member of BA's Frequent Flyer club there is little point. I tried to book a return flight to Philadelphia and was quoted 40,000 Avios. Fine. However, I fully expected to have to pay additional taxes etc. but was certainly not expecting these to amount to £359 - plus my 40,000 Avios! Surely this total is equivalent to a conventional (i.e. non-Avios) flight! Am deeply disappointed and feel disillusioned about the whole scheme. Would have readily traded in more Avios to cover the flight cost but there was not an option for this. I shall be interested to hear other people's experiences/observations re the usefulnesss of Avios.

uk
reviews: 228
1. Re: Value of Avios?

It's generally recognised that using Avios (certainly within the BA Exec Club) to book long-haul flights is a very poor way to use them - you'll often find only a small difference between the Avios+££ tax charge, and what the flight would cost to book on its own.

But they are great for upgrading - for example, we booked WT+ returns to New York recently, and used 25,000 points to upgrade into business class.

Also last year we used 150,000 Avios to get two first class returns London to Miami - sure it cost £850 on top for the two of us for taxes - but the full fare was >£13,000.

We're similarly using avios next month to upgrade WT+ tickets to the caribbean into Club Class both ways.

Avios are also sometimes useful for certain short haul e.g. european flights where fares are high but you can sometimes get a redemption booking using avios.

With 82,000 Avios you've got enough already to book somewhere in WT+ and then (subject to availability) to upgrade into club.

There are all sorts of options and other things which can transform your experience e.g. booking an economy return, being offered post-purchase a deeply discounted to Premium Economy and then using Avious to get into business.

So my view is they're great - but mainly for upgrades or once in a while booking a free first class flight via BA Amex card offer which also gets you a companion voucher.

UK
reviews: 89
2. Re: Value of Avios?

I have collected 82,000 Avios, but it seems that unless one is a member of BA's Frequent Flyer club there is little point

=========

Well thats easily fixed then, since BA's Frequent Flyer club is free to join and you can transfer Avios into your BA Exec account (and/or back again), for free, without losing anything.

As for the rest , see jeremymangus post above.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
3. Re: Value of Avios?

80k would get u a Clubworld seat to the US East Coast plus taxes but that is rubbish. You have to sit in a lounge with freely available food and drink, lie flat bed and drinks, food etc in the club kitchen. It is just challenging my BMI and I would not recommend! ;-)

Madrid
reviews: 7
4. Re: Value of Avios?

80k would get u a Clubworld seat to the US East Coast plus taxes but that is rubbish. You have to sit in a lounge with freely available food and drink, lie flat bed and drinks, food etc in the club kitchen. It is just challenging my BMI and I would not recommend! ;-)

You forgot the free champers.(I've only just stopped laughing.)

Ledbury, United...
5. Re: Value of Avios?

With very many thanks for your suggestions and time. You have given me hope and I will restrain my cynicism!

Madrid
reviews: 7
6. Re: Value of Avios?

Avios are very poor value when used to book an economy flight,with the possible exception of last minute bookings.

If you want to get good value,use your avios for premium cabin bookings or European reward savers.

The best value is to buy a world traveller plus ticket in a sale,and upgrade it to Clubworld with avios.Make sure there is availability to upgrade first.

Ayr, Scotland
reviews: 6
7. Re: Value of Avios?

Seriously Suzette - with a bit of work there are deals to be had Clubworld. Book and enjoy!

Rapidex - had forgot the pesky champagne!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
8. Re: Value of Avios?

Suzette, it's that good old fuel surcharge. BA, and other mainline European airlines break out the fuel surcharge from the base fare and levy it as a "tax", meaning you have to pay it when booking award tickets. It's not Avios per se but the airline(s).

That practice is illegal in the US, so US carriers can't charge you any airline fee on award tickets, just government and airport taxes and fees. That means that you can book flights on American Airlines using Avios and not have such a high cash amount to pay. Accepted that AA doesn't fly LHR-PHL so you'd have to do a one stop, or fly to JFK and make your way to Philly using ground transportation.

Ledbury, United...
9. Re: Value of Avios?

Thank you. I guess I am a bit behind the times re the fuel charges! A interesting tip about AA and then changing in New york. I might just try that. You have given me food for thought!

10. Re: Value of Avios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 19, 2014