We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

European flights

European flights

If you find a good deal, is it best to book early? Do prices just keep increasing the closer you get to the date of departure?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: European flights

Short answer to both: maybe.

Airlines do have sales, and may offer them for travel throughout much of the year. Fares are not static; the last two flights I took had fares that rose a couple of weeks before departure, but by four or five days before travel dates had dropped to what they had been a month previously. Both flights were very busy, almost completely full.

Fares will depend on where you would like to travel, when you travel, cabin / class of service you wish to book, and the airline with which you book. It is often (but not always) the case that if one airline has a sale for flights from X and Y to (nearly) all of its destinations, other carriers that serve those cities will lower fares as well.

UK
reviews: 88
2. Re: European flights

If you find a good deal, is it best to book early? Do prices just keep increasing the closer you get to the date of departure?

--------

You won't know if its a good deal until the day after you flew. If you *think* its a good deal you'll have to make your own mind up bearing in mind that as well as falling, prices can rise. Plenty of stories in here from people who hung on for a $10 fall and got a $100 rise instead.

And be sure your "good deal" isn't in fact advertising bull**** from a dodgy third party. Lot of it about, usually ends up ripping off people who have the most to lose and throw caution common sense and their money to the winds when they see a stupid low price ( often AKA " a good deal")

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
reviews: 60
3. Re: European flights

Since you don't have a location listed under your screen name I cannot tell where you'll be starting out??

Here in the USA airlines are now advertising "sale" prices for Spring travel. They seem to wait until one season before the flight to see if planes are full before advertising any price reductions. That may not be the same for all parts of the world! There is no hard and fast rule about this.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
reviews: 208
4. Re: European flights

I think the key concept is "good fare". If I find a fare that is several hundred dollars under what the normal fare is I grab it. I generally pay around $1000 to fly to Istanbul and back. When I found tickets last fall for $500 I bought six of them. "Good fares" rarely last very long.

If the fare is expensive I tend to wait. I am flying to Seattle and back next month out of Baltimore. The price of that ticket has been around $500-$600. I waited because I did not think they would get much worse. Yesterday I booked my flight for $214.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
5. Re: European flights

I usually keep checking the flight prices on the matrix fare comparison website, then book direct with the airline when I see a price that has come down, but getting back to your question; yes generally flight prices go up nearer the departure date.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

6. Re: European flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 19, 2014