We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline will not let me cancel

Coffs Harbour...
reviews: 130
Airline will not let me cancel

Just an interesting occurence.

I purchased tickets for 12 members of my family to travel Singapore - Bkk on Air Asia.

However, due to varying reasons, we will no longer need those return flights for our trip.

I full understand and accept that I will not get any refund, and do not expect any.

However, out of courtesy, I decided to call Air Asia to advise that we will not be travelling. They advised they cannot cancel these seats, and that we should just 'no-show' at the airport.

I cannot beleive that an airline would not be interested in reselling or at least being advised. This is 12 seats over 4 flights.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 72
1. Re: Airline will not let me cancel

Hi,

That's how they operate,..

While it may seem odd.. I understand it..

By avoiding the whole "cancel", "re-sell" etc, etc. etc. issues, they also sidestep all the necessary internal policies, procedures, accounting, programming, and other "stuff' that goes with having to manage, re-manage a constantly shifting inventory.

They've chosen- and I see why-- to adopt a simpler "one and done" booking strategy in that seats are sold only once and by having a nearly 100% no-cancellation policy in place-- thus no need for, nor opportunity to "re-sell them", and also by not having many "connections" (on AirAsia called Fly-Thru and only available on selected sectors) they've essentially made their whole inventory management system much more simplistic to administer.

Essentially, in most all cases, when a seat sells-- that's it.. There's no re-booking or cancellation risks that they've got to manage and also "price" into their fares like major carriers do by the use of their myriad of different fare classes..

For a carrier like AirAsia, who has gone for the 'streamlining" of the operation, I get it and for them, based on what they are, where they are and who and where they fly, right now, it makes sense in the larger picture.

Travel Safe,

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 12
2. Re: Airline will not let me cancel

It's refreshing to read about someone who was aware of the no change/ no refund policy and accepts it!

While it would be very unfortunate if another passenger were desperate to travel on these flight (which will have 12 empty seats) I can understand that just selling exactly the correct number of seats and then refusing to have any refunds, cancellations, changes etc would reduce Air Asia's costs.

Just imagine how many staff members must be employed by those other airlines that let you cancel, change and refund tickets.

Another advantage is that they won't intentionally overbook because they expect a certain percentage of passengers to cancel.

Their policy seems to work as they seem to be able to fly a lot of people for not much money. It's a no frills operation but I have no complaints about my flights last year.

Edited: 10:07 pm, March 16, 2013
Poulton-le-Fylde, UK
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
reviews: 61
3. Re: Airline will not let me cancel

Whilst as GOPBI explains AirAsia's No cancellation policy may work to their operational advantage it has a downside from an insurance perspective or at least it did in our case. We had to cancel our Kuala Lumpur to Siam Reap flights last year due to an illness enforced early return home. I contacted AA and informed them of the cancellation and the No Show policy was explained to me in response. When I claimed for flight costs (didn't have AA insurance as I thought my main insurance covered all intermediate flights) from my travel insurer they demanded proof of acceptance of flight cancellations which of course AA could or would not provide. So they were struck from the claim. Instead I contacted AA and accepted a credit shell for a future flight which we took to Bali this year.

4. Re: Airline will not let me cancel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 19, 2014