We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

London
reviews: 21
Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

Hi

My husband and I are travelling with Ryanair in a few days. We have both paid £40 each for 15kg of checked in baggage. Ideally, we would like to use just one case between us and put our 30kg allowance in the one bag. This will save a little weight off of our allowance as obviously we would only have the weight of one case and not two (hope this is making sense so far...stick with me!)

On their website is states the following:

'No pooling or sharing of baggage allowances is permitted, even within a party travelling on the same reservation. Pooling of an individual checked baggage allowance is not permitted even if you have two items of checked baggage (each item must be within its own prepaid weight allowance).'

I am confused as to what this means exactly and getting more confused by other posts I have seen on the 'net.

Someone said that it means that if two people book and travel together but one persons case weighs 18kg and the other persons case weighs 12kg the excess 3kg of the 18kg bag will not be compensated by the underweight 12kg bag.

Someone else said that it means that each person travelling must have a bag each, weighing no more than 15kg each.

Yet another has said that as long as you travel together you can use just one case, totalling 30kg (2x15kg allowance).

What I really, really want to know, for sure, is can we have just the one bag?

So, to clarify, if anyone has any experience of this with Ryanair...can we take just one bag between us with both our 15kg allowances in it (so a total of 30kg in one bag between us)?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can clear this up for me once and for all.

G x

Worthing, United...
reviews: 11
1. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

Sorry, but you have to take two bags. No pooling means exactly that. No pooling.

Jackie

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

You can bring two bags and neither can weigh more than 15kg. If you decide to just check one bag it still cannot weigh more than 15kg.

London, United...
reviews: 23
3. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

You need two bags, it's not relevant what other peoples opinions are, it's what Ryan air says, and they have been very clear, each individual passenger must meet the luggage allowance and dimensions as agreed,

As jackie said, no pooling is no pooling.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 69
4. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

I would say that the wording is pretty clear - each case (maximum one per person) can not be heavier than 15kg - one lighter one does not allow another to be heavier.

Aberdeen, United...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

Yep pretty clear one bag 15kgs no pooling of luggage at all its all explained in the T& C clearly!!!

London
6. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

Thanks for all the replies! Pretty clear now! I thought as much but that will teach me to look at Yahoo answers and let myself get all confused!

Thanks again every one.

G x

Wirral
reviews: 45
7. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

Glad previous postings have cleared things for you as my friend got stung 'Good Style' with them, they had to pay excess baggage, their one case weighed 30kg but were charged extra for 15 kg.

Another thing is as Ryan Air states no allowance sharing, so if you have a case each and say one is over the limit and the other is under, they will not allow you to transfer the excess into the lighter case, so beware of this also. Get yourself a cheap baggage scale and take it with you for the return.

Ryan air seems frightening, I wouldn't book with them until last year when I had no option, but I have to say 'G', it was one of the best flights I'd taken in a long time, everything went so smoothly. If you abide by their strict rules you really won't have a problem, so don't worry about things, don't let it spoil your holiday.

Have a great time!!

London
8. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

Hi Sunsearcher

Thanks for your further post.

Ouch for your friend. That must have hurt. We got stung by Thomas Cook once. They weighed our hand luggage. Cheeky buggers. I know that there are meant to be limits on hand luggage weight, but I've done quite a bit of travel and I've never had my hand luggage weighed, it's always seemed that they never really bother with it as long as the cases look the right size for the hand luggage restrictions. Tried to sting us for £80 but we managed to get them down to £50. I was seething.

Yes, we have one of those case weighing things. Very handy. Before we got that we were weighing our cases on the Wii Fit (the only time it got used after the initial novelty of owning it wore off)!

Handy tip about taking it with us though, for the return journey, just to make sure our clothes don't get mixed up and one of us ends up over and one under, God forbid!

We have just brought a flat and it needs a bit of work. Money has been running through our fingers like water these last 6 months, hence the cheap holiday with a budget airline this year. But I am sure it will be fine if. like you say, we stick to The Rules.

I think we might buy a couple of big holdalls and use those instead of our cases, that should save a little bit of weight.

Anyway, baggage is the least of my worries, I'm more worried about take-off and landing, (I'm not a good flyer). But looking forward to getting there. According to another thread on here its nice and warm and sunny in Lanzarote at the moment. But anything has got to be better than the weather we are having here!

Thanks once again, I just love Trip Advisor, everyone is so nice :o)

Regards

Georgeia ;o) x

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 34
9. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

<<We got stung by Thomas Cook once. They weighed our hand luggage. Cheeky buggers. I know that there are meant to be limits on hand luggage weight, but I've done quite a bit of travel and I've never had my hand luggage weighed, it's always seemed that they never really bother with it as long as the cases look the right size for the hand luggage restrictions. Tried to sting us for £80 but we managed to get them down to £50. I was seething.>>

Why cheeky?? If if it was over that's your fault, not theirs!! Try Thomsons. They weigh hand luggage as well.

London
10. Re: Ryanair Pooling of Luggage? Help please :o)

I've flown with Thomsons loads and I have never, ever had my hand luggage weighed. Why they were cheeky buggers is that they didn't weigh the hand luggage of any of the people in the queue in front of us. If a rule is a rule then it should be applied to all not just at random.