We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:02 pm, March 18, 2013
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
1. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

"So can some genius please explain to me why are Both Virgin and BA expensive?" - I'm not a genius but my guess would be supply and demand. Airlines will charge as much as they can for fares, you might consider them expensive, others might not.

I would add that it's very late to buy flights for April, the cheapest fares will have probably sold out months ago.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 111
2. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

"I would add that it's very late to buy flights for April, the cheapest fares will have probably sold out months ago."

___

But the OP claims to be an aviation expert in another post, so surely he would already be aware of this. ;-)

London
reviews: 34
3. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

Supply and demand. China is a rapidly-growing market and there is high demand for direct flights.

Try looking at indirect flights.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
4. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

Let's get some facts straight first. Air China is a four star rated airline (same as BA and Virgin) - http://www.airlinequality.com/Airlines/CA.htm

Second, Air China doesn't fly non stop from the UK to Shanghai. It serves Beijing only. So you're either on a non stop code sharing with China Eastern (the only PRC carrier that flies LHR-PVG), or that's a one stop via PEK.

Thirdly, what are you comparing £1,300 against? If China Eastern (MU) themselves are cheaper then why not book directly with MU? Also look at one stops, either via Europe or on Asian carriers via Asian gateways. I would personally be looking at doing that route via Incheon on Asiana (a 5 star carrier and imo the best).

Don't forget, the PRC market is still regulated with relatively only a small number of flights. If you're going in April, that's not that far out and the cheaper fare buckets may simply have sold out.

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
5. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

Just wait until he see's the price of the visa :)

6. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edited: 12:02 pm, March 18, 2013
7. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
8. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

I've flown Air China on short-medium haul, and they're pretty good and improving with every flight. If you're looking for a top notch carrier in economy, look at one stops on Asiana (via ICN), Qatar (DOH), Cathay Pacific (HKG), Singapore (SIN) or even Malaysia (KUL). Though the last two would connect a bit out of your way.

Btw, for hotels in Shanghai, I like the French Concession area. That still has an old town feel to it with the 19th century buildings and tree line roads.

9. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
10. Re: Why are Virgin and BA so expensive (even in economy!)?

Just looked at the Okura Garden and it's slap bang in the French Concession. Location wise at least a very good choice. :)

Why don't you give your flight requirements to the travel agent who booked the hotel and see what they can come up with?