We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worst airplane to fly domestic usa

Newcastle, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
worst airplane to fly domestic usa

What are the worst airplanes to fly on domestically in the USA. Nothing to do with airlines but aircraft type. Once flew on MD80 and vowed never to do it again

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
1. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

Most of the worst have been taken out of service. The 727 on 4 hour flights was probably the worst in the US.

Nowadays, the worst I fly is the Embraer 120 operated by Skywest for United Express. Ultra cramped. But it's usually between PDX-SEA so only a 30 minute flight. - …wikipedia.org/wiki/Embraer_EMB_120_Brasilia

Worst I've ever flown (and not in the US) was the Short 360 in the late 1980s between Gatwick and Rotterdam. That was my first ever code share experience. My company booked the flight with British Caledonian (nostaligia) so I was expecting at least a BAC-1-11, and ended up in a flying shoebox. :-) .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_360

Edited: 5:25 am, March 16, 2013
Fort Lauderdale...
reviews: 91
2. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

I second the Super 80 and the Shorts 360, the new RJ's arent much better...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
3. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

Once you have flown in a DC3, you will be happy with almost any other aircraft ....

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
4. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

CRJ-200. Most uncomfortable aircraft ever. I will take a DC-9 or MD-80 over them any day.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
5. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

What's so bad about MD80? I know the rear can be a bit noisy but 2-3 in economy is pretty good.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 65
6. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

For me so much depends on how full the flight is, and how obnoxious the passengers are. The smallest, most cramped equipment is tolerable when I have an empty seat next to me.

Madrid
reviews: 7
7. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

Worst I've ever flown (and not in the US) was the Short 360 in the late 1980s between Gatwick and Rotterdam. That was my first ever code share experience. My company booked the flight with British Caledonian (nostaligia) so I was expecting at least a BAC-1-11, and ended up in a flying shoebox. :-) ..

In that case you have never enjoyed an Embraer Banderante.Almost as bad as a shoe box.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
8. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

The CRJ-200's are pretty uncomfortable for me.

London, United...
reviews: 19
9. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

Worst was Embraer 170, I forgot how small some planes were, went ORD-LGA on 1st March.....first time on United, probably the last.....last century website they change the flight from and A319 to a flying coke can, all I can say is I welcome going back on an ageing MD80 on that route, spacious compared to that which should not be named !

kentucky
reviews: 37
10. Re: worst airplane to fly domestic usa

For me, any 50 seat RJ is the pits. 64 seats w/economy comfort (plus, whatever name) can be very pleasant on domestic routes. The worst, Dash 8s (overseas) and the Bombadier extended version (Horizon air) Any propjet like that--noisy and awkward in the air. Funny you mentioned PDX/SEA--I just took that route but I flew the Beavers, not the Eskimo...