We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

London, United...
Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

I was travelling with emirates airline to dubai but because of wrong surname of mrs on ticket they did not allow us to travel and it cost me £1200 . Travel agent said Not his fault while airline said Not their fault. What should I do ? I lost one week holidays , depression , stress

Nannup, Australia
reviews: 24
1. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

Bit late now, but what you should have done was check the names on your tickets when they were given to you.

UK
reviews: 81
2. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

Unfortunately you didn't provide enough information to enable anyone to know what the problem was and therefore whose fault.

Maybe you said you were mr john smith and wanted to book flights for you and your wife Coleen but her passport says Coleen brown but they assumed smith because you never said, maybe you told them the latter but they got it wrong, maybe you told them her new legal name of smith but she hadn't changed her passport yet, maybe something else.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 85
3. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

What do you mean, they did not allow you to travel? Couldn't you then have cancelled the ticket, paid the change fee and had it reissued with the correct name, even if it cost more?

Edited: 9:06 pm, March 15, 2013
Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
4. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

Give the full facts to your credit card bank - I believe you have a valid claim for some kind of refund

Edited: 10:26 pm, March 15, 2013
Nannup, Australia
reviews: 24
5. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

<<I believe you have a valid claim for some kind of refund>>

On what do you base that belief? Not nearly enough information given to us yet.

NomadicForever
reviews: 13
6. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

Coincidence? Such story was recently on a BBC Fasttrack program, also Emirates. EK did refund the money.

Problem is that people buy non-ref tix and cant opt for refund and rebooking.

London, United...
reviews: 22
7. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

Well I am not sure it's the exact same situation nomadic, link below, the bbc program was about a spelling error? Unless you refer to something else? I am sure this kind of thing happens often.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015g47d

I think the op needs to provide more information, ie was there no surname, it simply said " mrs" ie as in "Jane mrs" as opposed to " Jane doe"?

Also I am not sure what the poster who is saying they have a valid claim is basing that on either. We would need to know how they booked their tickets ie on line and this was user error, or via the phone, and why the op did not check and spot it before attempting to travel, and why they were not allowed to travel ie could not have the ticket reissued or purchase a new one? Why was this not permitted.

NomadicForever
reviews: 13
8. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

I agree with you, froggy. The link refers to a different incident I assume. However, the fee to correct the name was 1200 £. We dont know what *wrong surname* means. Different name or misspelling? Misspelling can create a wrong name.

Since the problem seems to be wearing the OP down, why has he/she not come back?

First time post, I wonder what the real story is? I find it hard to believe that somebody who books via a travel agent doesnt notice a mistake on the ticket before putting the money down. The agents or airline I have dealt with until now all gave me a printout of the reservation to check before they press the button to issue the ticket.

London, United...
9. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

I actually book online ticket with Southall travel London. A ticket for 5 person , 2 adults, 2 children age 7,8 and 11 months old infant. The travel agent issued an e- ticket for 14th of march 2013. My surname is Khan and all my kids have the same surname ,Khan .only my mrs has different surname. My mrs full name is Nadra Hassan but on e-ticket was written mrs Nadra khan . And that's it .on check in they refuse my mrs boarding because of her surname.they said it is agent fault but agent mentioned airline can correct there on counter. Airline said the flight is full and we even can not buy new ticket. They did not allow my mrs to travel and obviously . Emirates recommend to travel without my mrs but how could we travel without her when there is 11 months old baby plus my other two kids do not want to travel without her too.

I lost my both side taxi fare £140

1 week hotel in dubai

And £1196 re ticket

And a lot hassle ,stress and much more to be honest.

Now I want to take legal action but I don't know against who? Travel agent or emirates airline or both.

Please comment but if someone needs more information please do let me know. Cheers

10. Re: Cost £1200 and one week because of wrong surname on ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, March 16, 2013