We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bumped by AeroMexico

San Miguel de...
Bumped by AeroMexico

I was bumped twice by AeroMexico this winter - first Mexico City to Campeche and second from Mexico City to Huatulco. Both times I had all my paperwork for a confirmed reservation, and no warning of being bumped until I got to the airport (early BTW). AeroMexico employees very rude, gave various excuses but could not explain why I could be bumped with a confirmed reservation, said the plane(s) were full, nothing they could (would) do. They also refused to check other airlines for alternate flights.

They did not charge me for the flight(s), but they refused to reimburse my bus trip(s) from San Miguel to Mexico City, or my rental car(s) at destinations, which I had paid in advance. I was lucky that the hotels in both cases cancelled my reservations at no charge.

Has anyone else had this experience with AeroMexico?

21 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

Overbooking happens with all carriers.

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

Can you not use another airline? Is there none available on these routes?

San Miguel de...
3. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

I know overbooking happens with all airlines, but in the US if you have a confirmed reservation and the flight is overbooked, the airline is responsible to compensate your expenses, and/or offer incentives to persuade other passengers to take a later flight.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 111
4. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

I'm not sure they will compensate additional expenses which you mention such as car hire & hotels, but you will be compensated - with the airline looking for volunteers first and if not then they will select someone involuntary.

London, United...
5. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

Max, I am not sure you are correct there. I dont think there is a law? yes, its what the more respectable large carriers do, but it does not mean the law states they have to pay expenses and offer incentives.

I do think it is down to the terms and conditions you agreed to, the conditions of carriage, so you need to look at those to see what they say you are owed. If they are silent, then I think you may struggle unless you sue, but bottom line I think it's all about the terms and conditions of the contract you agreed to.

Unless someone knows otherwise?

London, United...
6. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

Actually their own t and cs do say compensation, but they don't say how much,,,did you go to the ticket desk and get the rules for the payment of compesatikn? What did it say?

Overselling of Flights

Airline flights may be oversold and it is possible that a seat on a flight is unavailable when a customer has a confirmed reservation. If a flight is oversold, no passenger shall be denied a seat unless Aeromexico personnel first ask for volunteers to assign their reservation in exchange for a compensation payment at the discretion of Aeromexico. If there are insufficient volunteers, Aeromexico may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with the boarding priority. With a few exceptions, passengers denied boarding involuntarily shall be entitled to compensation. The complete rules for the payment of compensation and boarding priorities are available at all airport ticket counters and boarding gates. Certain airlines do not apply these measures of protection for the consumer to travel from certain countries other than the United States, although there may be other measures of consumer protection. Check with each airline.

San Miguel de...
7. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

My question was whether others have experienced this problem with AeroMexico in Mexico. Since it happened to me twice within a few months, on AeroMexico, I suspect a pattern here, although in the absence of any confirming response my experience might be unique ....

The responses above indicate some confusion as to the "rules" regards bumping. That may be the case, but in 40 years of fairly frequent flying, I have never been bumped from a confirmed reservation on a US domestic or international flight, without my agreement to do so.

London, United...
8. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

I'm lost.

Of course others have experienced it, you won't be the only human ever to have experienced involuntarily denied boarding with this airline.

So were you compensated? Did you go to the desk and get the compensation information?

Edited: 3:57 pm, March 15, 2013
San Francisco...
9. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

Just got lied to and bumped with my confirmed connection to Hermosillo from Lax via Delta. Story from Delta was that they oversold the flight and had kicked 3 other Delta transferring passengers out before me. Told me there was no reservation for me (lie). After 5 hours with 2 trips to AM terminal, Delta found my checked through bag (it had flown to Hermosillo--although agents told me that would be impossible since I didn't fly--and promised me my bag back if I returned in 1 hour. I did and it wasn't.

That they simply lie multiple times is unprofessional. That they oversell is unprofessional. I am now in LAX until 1 AM waiting for my re-booked flight. I will never use them again and have strongly recommended to Delta that they un associate with them. What a rabbit hole!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
10. Re: Bumped by AeroMexico

Ann,

As was mentioned above, all airlines overbook flights, not only Delta and Aeromexico (and this is an Aeromexico thread so why are you posting about Delta). But anyway ...

As you were involuntarily denied boarding (IDB) in the United States, Delta has to pay you mandatory compensation as laid down by law. For an international flight that compensation is 400% of the price of the ticket for that flight up to a maximum of $1350. So if you don't receive that from Delta contact them through the official channels and complain.

Edited: 9:31 pm, February 15, 2014
Reply to: Bumped by AeroMexico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted