We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

On line check in worth doing if I have hold baggage?

Altrincham, England
reviews: 51
On line check in worth doing if I have hold baggage?

Can you advise me whether there is any advantage using on line check in the day before departure if we have suitcases and not just hand baggage? I'll still need to go to a check in desk at the airport on the day of departure. We are flying BA MAN to LHR and then Icelandair to Reykyavik the next day.

Thanks

uk
reviews: 213
1. Re: On line check in worth doing if I have hold baggage?

Yes, there are advantages.

1. You can select your seats

2. You can use the bag drop check-in desks which only process those who have already checked in - regular check-in desks queues are usually longer

3. By checking in online the airline knows you're more likely to turn up, and in a few rare, rare cases this puts you higher up the queue for potential upgrades - although I stress this is very rare to get one.

4. If it's all ticketed as one ticket on BA and Icelandair then even better, but even if not then check in online with Iceland air.

Queue times can vary of course depending on time of day, but whenever I've used T5 at LHR or Gatwick the fast bag drop offers were much quicker than the lines for people to start checking in from scratch.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 139
2. Re: On line check in worth doing if I have hold baggage?

Yes it's worth it because instead of waiting in the check in line you go directly to the drop bag counter which is much quicker as they only have to tag the lugagge.

reviews: 46
3. Re: On line check in worth doing if I have hold baggage?

Also if you are using a airline such as southwest, the first people to check in (24 hours before), get to board the plane first. Hence choosing the best seat!

Oxford, United...
reviews: 125
4. Re: On line check in worth doing if I have hold baggage?

I like OLCI because one, I know my booking is actually there and even though I've normally picked my seat already, I can change if something else takes my fancy. Lots of airlines have a baggage drop line which can be a lot quicker.

Despite checking in on line with Emirates and Etihad and printing my own boarding passes, I've always been given new boarding passes when I've dropped my bags off anyway. I kind of don't mind as I usually have connecting flights so double check with the check in staff, my bags are going all the way and both flights are OK.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
5. Re: On line check in worth doing if I have hold baggage?

< Yes it's worth it because instead of waiting in the check in line you go directly to the drop bag counter which is much quicker as they only have to tag the lugagge. >

They must have improved at T5 then as every time I've done it the queues for bag drop were longer than for check-in

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Flugreisen
reviews: 5
6. Re: On line check in worth doing if I have hold baggage?

It's definitely worth it. If there are any issues you will have them flagged at T-24 and be able to get them resolved well ahead of time. There's also the possibility of the oversold situation (more tickets sold than there are seats on the plane, and not enough people have canceled). By checking in 24 hours beforehand you'd greatly reduce the chance of being denied boarding - ie bumped off the flight.

7. Re: On line check in worth doing if I have hold baggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 17, 2014