We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connecting Flight Access

Glasgow, United...
Connecting Flight Access

My daughter is travelling to Salisbury, Maryland from Glasgow, with a changeover at Philadelphia. Her return, 3 months later, is Salisbury-Philadelphia-Glasgow. As she will be travelling around, she wants to catch the return flight at Philadelphia and miss out the Salisbury/Philadelphia link.

Can she do this?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Connecting Flight Access

No. If she misses the Salisbury-Philadelphia flight, all subsequent flights on that ticket will be cancelled: she would have to buy a very expensive walk-up ticket from Philadelphia to Glasgow.

If she wants to this, she will have to change the booking and pay the applicable change fees.

Edited: 4:49 am, March 15, 2013
Glasgow, United...
2. Re: Connecting Flight Access

Thanks for that, Nick. You probably saved me a lot of money.

I'll just need to cost 2 single journeys returning from a different airport and compare it to an internal US flight back to Salisbury to take advantage of the return flight.

Either way, I'm a loser.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
3. Re: Connecting Flight Access

Try booking as a "multi-city journey". These allow you to book an "open jaws" ticket, where you fly into one airport and back from another.

You should be able to book Glasgow-Salisbury and Philadelphia-Glasgow for about the same price as a Glasgow-Salisbury return flight.

Naples, Florida
reviews: 6
4. Re: Connecting Flight Access

You can search for flights for this Itinerary, but not doing it as a round-trip basis. Rather, use the multicity function that is available for most search engines. If transferring in Philadelphia on the outbound leg is an important factor, it is possible to use additional filters to force flights to only use this option. You now do not have the issue of missing a particular leg as it was never specified in the first place.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
5. Re: Connecting Flight Access

"You should be able to book Glasgow-Salisbury and Philadelphia-Glasgow for about the same price as a Glasgow-Salisbury return flight."

I think the flights have already been booked - if that's correct then I'd speak to the airline (US Air?) to see what the costs would be to change the reservation before booking other flights as suggested in post #2.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
6. Re: Connecting Flight Access

In reply #2, the Op said: "I'll just need to cost 2 single journeys returning from a different airport and compare it to an internal US flight back to Salisbury to take advantage of the return flight."

I would interpret that as saying that flights have not yet been booked.

Glasgow, United...
7. Re: Connecting Flight Access

Thanks to everybody for your advice.

I haven't booked yet but will certainly check out the "multi-city" option.

To add another wee question,--

is it possible to add flexibility to a return journey date eg. if she hates her trip and wants to return early, could I pay extra for this option?

Thanks for any further advice.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
8. Re: Connecting Flight Access

"is it possible to add flexibility to a return journey date eg. if she hates her trip and wants to return early, could I pay extra for this option?"

You have 2 options - firstly you could buy a flexible ticket that will allow changes at no or minimal cost but the initial ticket cost is likely to be expensive or you could buy a cheaper ticket that allows changes but only on payment of subsequent change fees/fare difference fees that are unknown until you come to change the ticket.

The sort of flexibility you are looking for does not come cheap.

Glasgow, United...
9. Re: Connecting Flight Access

Thanks again to all for the advice.

The outcome is that I managed to book the outbound flight to Salisbury with the return from New York using the "multi-city" option. It was about £40 cheaper than the standard return.

As for the flexible return date, I think I struck lucky again.

My daughter is a student, so I booked with STA (Student Travel Agency) as they promise to match any fare you can find elsewhere. Additionally, STA provide a 3-date-change option on return flights for a standard fee of £59 (airlines charge £169 for each and every date change).

All in all, I think I'e got the best deal thanks to you guys.

Many thanks again for your help and advice.

Jay Mack

UK
reviews: 85
10. Re: Connecting Flight Access

Additionally, STA provide a 3-date-change option on return flights for a standard fee of £59 (airlines charge £169 for each and every date change).

--------

Without wishing to rain on your parade, I'd be fairly sure that £59 is to allow the change but there will be an additional and likely much more significant cost which will be the difference between what was paid initially and what it costs when you do the change.