We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

seattle
reviews: 2
Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

The flight itinerary is Seattle-Chicago-Zurich with the Seattle-Chicago leg on United and Chicago-Zurich leg on Swiss. The return is the reverse with Zurich-Chicago on Swiss and Chicago-Seattle on United. I selected this routing because I wanted to purchase from United but fly Swiss for the transatlantic. I already have my seat selections on United through the reservation process, but not on Swiss. I have the Swiss confirmation number from the United web site, but, when I go to the Swiss site, I am apparently not allowed to see or manage the Swiss segments on the Swiss website due to the codeshare.

I could use some enlightenment on the process for online check-in on both outbound and return flights and seat selection for the Swiss legs so your input much appreciated. I've flown commercially frequently, but am still a bit inexperienced with codeshares. With United-Air Canada booked through United, I could use the AC locater provided by United on the AC web site to get to my reservation. Seems a bit different this time.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 76
1. Re: Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

Normally, if you have the operating airline's PNR code, you should be able to access your reservation. Are you sure you have the right code to start? What are you seeing on the Swiss site? I haven't bothered to look at Swiss seat selection policy, but perhaps your fare isn't eligible for advance seat assignment.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
2. Re: Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

I had a RTW trip last year which was split bw United and Swiss. I was unable to pre-select seats on Swiss at all. I was advised that if I wanted to do this, the only way was to buy tickets directly from Swiss.

seattle
3. Re: Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

Thank you for the responses. My understanding of the SWISS online seat selection policy by reading their website is that it is by checking-in 23 h prior to the flight if flying with a SWISS ticket. I'm not sure what happens when check-in is with a code-share partner. Neither the 8-digit confirmation number for the SWISS legs or 13-digit e-ticket number provided by United seem to be working well on the SWISS website, so not much help there.

For Mez3000, when did you receive your seat assignments? At the airport?

Quebec City
reviews: 34
4. Re: Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

Have you tried calling Swiss and asking them? I don't know if it'll help at all, I've never flown with them, but I would try that. At least, a Swiss employee might be able to better explain what the policy is for seat assignment on codeshares?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

Definitely call Swiss Air. I've had a number of situations similar to yours, where I had an itinerary with a connection and a code share, and when I called the airline, for an international flight, they always allowed me to reserve a seat over the phone.

seattle
6. Re: Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

I first called United to make sure that the numbers I had were correct; that person was not able to access the SWISS system, but did provide a telephone number for SWISS. Then called SWISS and obtained seat selections for both outbound and return flights.

I asked the person at SWISS to forward me the assignments by email, but was told that he couldn't do it, so I'll call back in due course to confirm all is well. We have a few months before we travel.

Thanks for the responses.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 26
7. Re: Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

>> For Mez3000, when did you receive your seat assignments? At the airport? <<

Yes. Although, I never bothered looking 24 hours out. I was in business class so even the "worst" seats were still good.

8. Re: Check-in, seat selection on Swiss with United ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 18, 2014