We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 74
22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

Hi

I was on a Monarch flight due to leave Banjul for Gatwick on Tuesday at 16.45. Due to a technical fault (and ultimately then crew working hours limits), the flight had to be cancelled and was rescheduled for 13.30 yesterday (13/03/13). It left around 14.30 so arrived approximately 22 hours later than scheduled.

Anyway, this meant I missed my connecting flight to Belfast and had to pay rack rate for an airport hotel plus missed a day at work.

Monarch flight crew were lovely but ground staff not very helpful so thought I'd get more useful information on here. Do I claim my hotel and flight rebooking costs through my own travel insurance (no through ticket available to the Gambia from Ireland, north or south unfortunately so had to book separately) and then try to claim flight delay compensation from Monarch? If so, are there any draft letters anywhere with appropriate wording or is there a standard claim form you complete or do you go directly to the CAA? Monarch website didn't seem very helpful with this!

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
1. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

You can claim EU compensation from Monarch but not any additional expenses you had in connection with missing your onward flight. Have a look at the MoneySavingExpert forum, there's a whole forum dedicated to compensation claims, including claims from Monarch. From what I gather, they're not going to pay out without a fight so be prepared that you'll most likely need to take your claim to small claims court in the end.

…moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php…

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 44
2. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

Monarch have been issuing claim forms to fill in to claim EU compensation, so I would contact them and ask for one.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

Here's the official EU claim form, and the contact information for the CAA, should you need to escalate it to them.

…europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

…europa.eu/transport/themes/passengers/air/d…

1) Complete the complaint form provided by the EU. Then send it to Thomson together with a (polite but firm) cover letter requesting your compensation. And request a response within 28 days. Keep at least two copies of everything you send .

2) If you don't hear a response, or you receive an unsatisfactory one, send the same complaint (one of those copies you kept) to the CAA, who would investigate and give its judgement, which if in your favor they would also contact the airline and request payment.

3) But, that CAA judgement isn't binding on the airline, and so if they still refused you would have pursue the matter in court, so it would be off to Small Claims.

As regards your additional expenses regarding the missed flight to Belfast, that would something to claim from travel insurance.

Edited: 6:44 pm, March 14, 2013
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 74
4. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

Thanks everyone - great info there:)

Monarch did issue a delay form to anyone on the flight who wanted one to complete although they were saying it was for them to give us a letter for our insurance companies..... so it will be interesting to see what comes in the post or by e-mail over the next few days! In the meantime, I'll contact my insurance company for flight and hotel cost reimbursement.

San Clemente...
reviews: 1
5. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

I wouldn't bother with them... they dragged my cased around for 5 years then dropped it. It's an unprofessional outfit.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 44
6. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

Nothing wrong with Monarch as an airline. i've never had anything but good service from them, but like most, they're not paying out EU261 compensation easily.

7. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:32 am, July 25, 2014
Watford, United...
reviews: 12
8. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

Dianasuarez - Stop spamming your adverts, your posts are just going to get deleted.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
9. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

Dianasuarez - Is there any coincidence that you're shilling for ambulance chasing lawyers and you reside in Monte Carlo?

10. Re: 22 hour delay after flight cancellation - eu claim form?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, yesterday