We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children on Buddy Pass

Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 15
Children on Buddy Pass

Hi, my family of 3 will be traveling to MNL using Delta buddy passes and my child is 3 years old. I was told that if only J class seats are available, non-revs will get them. However, I read in the Non-rev manual somewhere (if that even exists), that only kids 8 years old and above can be on Business/First class. I understand that since nobody wants to sit next to a fussy child especially when you paid extra to have a great seat. Let's say, coach is full, will Delta upgrade someone to give way for the child in coach or will the child have to wait for the next flight?

Thanks in advance.

kentucky
reviews: 37
1. Re: Children on Buddy Pass

Your child will not be alowed to sit in J until 6 yrs of age. The 8 yr limit has been gone for several years, much to the chagrin of many DL employees. If there are lots of seats in J but none in Y, revenue pax will be upgraded to give nonrevs seats in Y if there is child under 6. The information you cite is way out of date. I believe you need to refresh with the employee issuing your buddy passes before you travel again. They are at risk if you have problems or complaints (as well as your seats). Please make the effort to understand the priviledges your friend has extended to youPS--best wished getting to MNl on any buddy pass. It is a very difficult destination--particularly going thru NRT. Don't count on any set day of travel. I have friends who try it (wihgt lots of seniority) and they wait for 2-3 days sometimes (both ways) If you have 3 persons, prepare to split the adults and meet later.

Edited: 1:18 pm, March 11, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
reviews: 15
2. Re: Children on Buddy Pass

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I do intend to speak with him for a run through with all the policies since it's my first time non-reving with Delta. I've heard that NRT-MNL is tough so I'm prepared to spend some $ on hotel rooms and my spouse and I already made out a plan in case we need to split. We'd rather think of it as an adventure.

kentucky
3. Re: Children on Buddy Pass

You'll find getting to NRT is tricky as well. Prepare for hotels there. Start your search for the ones with shuttles near the airport. Also, look at the option of flying thru Nagoya (NGO)

Good idea to treat this as an adventure.

Edited: 2:06 pm, March 11, 2013
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4. Re: Children on Buddy Pass

Good luck, its tough for employees to non-rev these days let alone a guest/buddy pass traveler. I have stopped giving them to people because it just isn't realistic that they will get a seat in most cases. I would press my "buddy" to tell me the booking levels of each flight before I started this trip. What I mean is a day or so in advance. If the plane is full or close to it then you might think carefully before going. Remember all other non-revs are ahead of you. Seats evaporate quickly.

Mike in Tulsa

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
5. Re: Children on Buddy Pass

Hi,

N737AA,

"Good luck, its tough for employees to non-rev these days let alone a guest/buddy pass traveler."

God, isn't that the truth...Unless it's a 3-cabin international sector where non-employee restrictions commonly tend to kick in for F cabin seating, it used to be that a OMC/CJA ride for me was the exception-- now days domestically within the US, it is, by far, the norm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that most carriers these days have become more attune to capacity and are running better overall LF's, but man, the impact on the SA has been hugely pronounced.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 5:30 pm, March 12, 2013
6. Re: Children on Buddy Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, March 14, 2014