We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 13
singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

hi all,

can anyone tell me if you can take a small backpack (size of a childs school backpack) on board as well as the normal carry on case? we use it to lug stuff around when playing tourist. have done so on MAS with no issue's but not sure about SQ as first time with them.

would be good to know prior to arriving at airport on friday.did ring but don't think the guy quite understood what i was asking.

thank you in advance for any replies

cheers

15 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 30
1. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

Its all detailed here

singaporeair.com/en_UK/…

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
2. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

According to their website, for economy flights you get one piece of carry on luggage up to 7kgs, and in addition can have

Ladies' handbag

Overcoat

Umbrella

Walking stick

Laptop / Notebook

Small camera

Reading material

Infant’s food for consumption in flight / infant’s carrying basket

A pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the passenger’s use provided the passenger is dependent upon them

I don't think you can claim a small backpack is a ladies' handbag. Could you pack it flat inside the carry one bag, or in your checked luggage?

Melbourne, Australia
3. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

thanks for the replies. yeah had read that but not sure how strict they are even though technically doesn't seem allowed.never had issue with mas or thai so seems they don't always enforce.depends on the day i guess.

we use it to put camera,small laptop etc in.keeps everything in one bag.

i'll just see how we go at the airport.might just say its my man bag.

take care all, thanks

cheers

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 126
4. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

You have also read the rules on whats allowed to take on board and still think its ok to take more than your 'supposed to' as you have gotten away with it before.

Sorry but this is why the restrictions are in place to stop people just bringing that 'extra' bit of hand luggage to lug around and filling up the overhead lockers so others have not got room for their carry on.

Melbourne, Australia
5. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

yeah thats a fair comment i guess scotlandsouth. but we take nothing else. we just have all those extra items you are allowed on top of your carry on into the one backpack. i.e. camera,notebook,reading material,snacks etc. wife doesn't even carry a handbag. the bag doesn't even get put in the overhead but under the seat in front for easier access.

don't take anything on that not allowed just put it all into 1 small bag rather than carrying them all as loose items.

maybe they see that and thats why have never had an issue.

take care-cheers

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 126
6. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

Well you will not be carrying more than your allowed if you only have the two bags for two passengers so that's fine and not a problem, hense the reason you have not had an issue as you say..

Jakarta, Indonesia
7. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

I always take it as it is never about what you are allowed, but rather what everyone else has brought along and whether yours stands out over the others.

I once had a small travel bag and a small roller bag a few years ago. never ever had a problem anywhere with these two, as the small travel bag generally took the place of a separate laptop bag. But then they insisted, or better yet, given me no choice, but to ramp check in the bigger bag.

(I remember up to the mid 2000's you could bring 4-6 hand carries and no one would care.)

If the flight is full, then the strictness level will increase.

As for any airline, you could have just one carry on but if it doesn't fit anywhere they can ramp check in that item all they want and complete all the complaint forms you want but it will still be brought down the stairs to cargo.

I've grown smarter and just brought a laptop bag, even without a laptop inside.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
reviews: 44
8. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

I fly SQ regularly and have taken a carryon and a backpack with me on board many times. I've never had a problem whatsoever.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

thanks shibuyakko for the reply.wasn't totally sure with sq so thanks for that.

cheers

Brighton, United...
reviews: 3
10. Re: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions

On Singapore airlines it states I can take hand luggage plus a handbag. Does that mean my husband can also take his hand luggage PLUS a man bag??

Reply to: singapore airlines- carry on luggage restrictions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted