We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about connecting internationally.

Toronto, Canada
Confused about connecting internationally.

Flying from YTZ to YUL, YUL to EWR, EWR to GVA.

I am confused about connecting/the associated problems.

1. I have a 2.5 hour layover in Newark, will that be enough?

2. Will I have to collect my baggage/re-check it in Newark? Or will I just have to clear security/customs myself?

3. If I buy alcohol in Canadian duty free will I be able to bring it in my carry on in Newark?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
1. Re: Confused about connecting internationally.

Assuming this is all on ONE ticket, which is important, you should have no problem at all with 2-1/2 hours in Newark. Your bags should be checked from YTZ all the way to GVA. You should clear U.S. immigration in YUL so no passport control again until GVA.

I would think it would be risky to invest in alcohol in Canada in case you have to go through security again in EWR. Odds are you won't, but you would have a bit of risk. Others may have more specific advice.

Good luck.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 84
2. Re: Confused about connecting internationally.

1. You don't provide many details, but if your first flight is on time, this should be more than enough time to make your next flight.

2. You will preclear US customs and immigration at YUL, so if you are on one ticket, your baggage should be checked through to your next flight.

3. Wouldn't risk it because you will probably have to clear security to get to your connecting flight at EWR, and you have the 3-1-1 rule for liquids. The bottle will be too big.

Edited: 11:34 am, March 10, 2013
Toronto, Canada
3. Re: Confused about connecting internationally.

This is probably a really stupid response but I don't know if I'm traveling on one ticket...I paid for my ticket in one transaction/I'm assuming it is one ticket/I only have one "e-ticket number".

My friend wanted me to bring him some Canadian whiskey but I'll just have to see if they have any in Newark's airport.

I obviously don't travel much hahaha.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Confused about connecting internationally.

You can bring the Canadian Whiskey as long as it is in your checked bag. In the US, you can only carry small amounts of liquid on the plane, but you can bring larger bottles if you check them.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
5. Re: Confused about connecting internationally.

You will pre-clear US customs and immigration at YUL, so really your connection at YUL is more important time-wise than at EWR. That means you have to either pick up your bags again at YUL and take them with you, or you get to identify them on a screen (they do this identify thing at YVR and doesn't make sense to me, but I suppose that they know what they're doing) At Newark you just proceed to your next flight but will probably go through security again.

Buy your whiskey here, stick it in a large ziplock and put it in your checked baggage, right in the middle of the case with a multitude of tee shirts and whatever wrapped around it. It should be fine. You may have to declare it to American customs though, but thats a formality as its just passing through so to speak.

Edited: 4:21 pm, March 10, 2013
Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Confused about connecting internationally.

Thanks for the information everyone!

So, with the information you have all provided me I reaiise my layover in Montreal might be cutting it close. I only have an hour and five minutes there. Fingers crossed it works out :S.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
7. Re: Confused about connecting internationally.

I haven't been to international departures at YUL for years so I have no direct knowledge, but I will say you better not linger when you land and you better hope your plane from YTZ is not delayed.

It really depends on the time of day, how busy the place is and how well-manned the US Transfers section is..

8. Re: Confused about connecting internationally.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 12, 2014