We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

Brisbane, Australia
My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

Hi im from brisbane australia. I have booked my airline tickets with Expedia website. Im traveling to berlin in january for 9 days and then heading to a destination call Rovaniemi in finland for a few nights before heading back home to australia.

Here is a quick list where the plane stops before changing planes to and from:

Brisbane (BNE) to Singapore (Changi)

Finnair 5008 operated by Qantas Airways Depart 1:40pm Arrive 7:00pm

At singapore i must get the Finnair plane to helsinki next:

Singapore (Changi) to Helsinki (HEL)

Finnair 82

Economy / Coach Class ( O), Airbus A340

Depart 11:50pm Arrive 6:20am +1 day

From Helsinki airport i must get the FLYBE plane to berlin which is where im going to stay on holidays:

Helsinki (HEL) to Berlin (BER)

Finnair 2911 operated by Flybe

Economy / Coach Class ( O), Embraer 190

Depart 8:00am Arrive 8:55am

----

So as you can see I fly out on the 7th of january and arrive at berlin on the 8th of january (+1day later)

Question: Whats the actual chance that my finnair plane from singapore to helsinki will get me there on time ? The only reason why im alittle worried its because when i arrive at helsinki airport i have only 1H and 40minutes left to catch the next plane the flybe.

So im quite nervourse that maybe 1H40MIN isnt really enough time because the plane i be on with finnair comming from singapore to helsinki may end up delays or even cancelled. So what would i end up doing ? If this ever happen. I don;t no because in january theres always snow around helsinki and berlin airports.

So how sure 100% that the plane i be on gets me on 100% correct time to helsinki? Remember i have the FLYPE plane to catch next which departs 8am helsinki time.

I arrive to helsinki at: Arrive 6:20am (but im sure the plane wont really get me exactly 100% at that actual hour and minute on time.. Because i could end up arriving 1 or 2 hours late and all i have to do is rush to get around next which isn't good idea. 1hour and 40minute for the next flight may not be really enough time ? Course ive never being to europe so this be my first time.

How would i actually find out in (real time) while on the plane heading to helsinki not able to log on the internet and not able to track what time and how far yet to get there just so i know im not being worry or stress and such about the not miss the next flight to berlin ? Unless they would show real time how far the plane is on screen and actual time or something ?

Thank you kind to everyone. I hope i get some good help discussions on here about this.

take care

Edited: 8:07 am, March 11, 2013
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

Hi,

Unfortunately, you're not going to find any carrier or schedule that can give you a 100% guarantee.. it's just not possible.

Things can happen pre-departure, like maintenance and weather that delay the otherwise on-time status.. then even when airborne, changes in the weather enroute or at the destination can impact your arrival times.

That said, what you'll find is that for the large global carriers, they tend to run an overall system-wide average of about 80%+/- for on-time.. and that means looking at all their flights from each and every city served.. Naturally, some routes and cities have better rates than others for a variety of reasons, but overall 80% tends to be a good rate.

To find out in real-time about flight status would be via Finn Air's passenger IFE, if they have that functionality for passenger use. Naturally, the flight deck (pilots) will have this in constant real time, but it may not be available to you at all times as their primary function is operating the aircraft and not to be a passenger information relay system.

I think if you couldn't get this information from your own passenger IFE, that one status update request to your cabin crew as you draw closer to HEL would be appropriate.

Travel Safe,

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
2. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

One hour 40 minutes is quite enough time to change planes at HEL. You'll have a bit of a walk from the arrival gate of AY82 because it will use a gate at the non-Schengen area of the airport. Follow the signs to passport control (HEL is the first port of entry to the Schengen zone, so that is where you will go through immigration) then make the connection for AY2911 (operated by Flybe) to Berlin.

Since you have (presumably) a through ticket, if the flight from SIN to HEL is delayed, AY (Finnair) will work with you to find a seat on the next flight to Berlin. HEL airport staff are certainly used to wintry weather conditions, and do their best to keep the airport operating even with snow on the ground. You should have more than enough time for a cup of very good Finnish coffee and perhaps a warm pulla (sweet bread roll).

'How would i actually find out in (real time) while on the plane heading to helsinki ... Unless the would show real time how far the plane is on screen and actual time or something' You can do what thousands of people do every day, watch the Moving Map on the IFE (in flight entertainment) system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1wtnvsGNL0 There are newer versions of the Moving Map program, but generally you will see information like air speed, head / tail wind, height above sea level, outisde air temp, time at destination, time at departure point, estimated time until arrival, and the little plane moving very slowly across the map.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
reviews: 156
3. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

No one, not even the airlines will be able to tell you now if the flights will be on time when you fly. You left the crucial details out of your story. Do you have just one ticket from Brisbane to Berlin with Finnair or do you have several tickets. Many overseas flights have stop overs and change planes and with airlines codesharing flights you may not actually fly with the airline you booked with but with one ticket for the whole trip then it is the airlines responsibility to get you to the destination. If the flight on one sector is late then they will try to get you on the next available flight, it might not be that day though.

If you have separate tickets then it is your responsibility to arrange /buy another ticket to your next destination.

If you booked it all with Finnair after seeing on Expedia what the cheapest option is, then you will have less hassles if problems occur,

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 87
4. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

Since the flights have Finnair code share flight numbers, they probably are on a single ticket.

Qantas web site can tell you about the services on the flight operated by them. I would be very surprised if a full-service airline does not include a meal on an intercontinental flight.

On the Finnair flight from Singapore, the meals, soft drinks, beer and red/white wine will be free. Sparkling wine, liquors and spirits have to be paid for. Credit card or euros should be the most convenient means of payment. I suspect the EUR/AUD cash exchange rate will be better in your local bank than in the air.

The Finnair Airbus 340s have personal IFE. However, 3 of their 7 A340s are old former Air France planes that were already supposed to have been replaced by the delayed Airbus 350. Finnair has not invested in keeping these 3 planes up to date, so they are quite bad with worn cabins and cranky IFE. I hope you luck out in the plane rotation.

No IFE on the 2-hour flight to Berlin. Expect to pay for the limited selection of snacks and drinks, so snacking at the airport or buying there something attractive to take with you may be a good idea.

Brisbane, Australia
5. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

Hi Thank you kind enough people for your generius help.

Its only because well im not 100% sure if 1Hour and 40MINUTES is really enough time to catch the next flight at helsinki airport. Need to catch the FLYBE plane to go to my destination holiday to berlin next.

I be more worried about will my fliught as shown obove this discussion will get me to singapore in full time. No one would know. I suppose.

When the expedia website as obove shows depart and arrival times.. Is that acuraccy or does it mean like for example:

Singapore (Changi) to Helsinki (HEL)

Finnair 82

Economy / Coach Class ( O), Airbus A340

Depart 11:50pm Arrive 6:20am +1 day

So the plane departs 11:50pm from singapore internacional airport. Does that actually takes or or is there a 20 to 40minute hold for the engine to turn on and passangers be on thier seats ? or is that actually 1150pm the gates are open to board into the plane ? Because if the plane does not leave until 12:30midnight at singapore time thats like aprox 40min wait before it takes off.. then that means by the time i arrive at Helsinki airport it wont be actual 620am helsinki time.. but more 40minutes late on arrival making it something like 710am or so ?

I just never being overseas. I think i have to study the singapore/helsinki and berlin airport international maps for terminals 1 and 2 i believe. And when i arrive to berlin i must collect my luggage from there.

Just to let you people know. I have upsolutely no idea if i will receive tickets all together for my destination or do i have to check in each airport i land just because i need to get onto a diferent plane ?

Or do i get ticket from brisbane to singapore. Ticket from singapore to helsinki. Ticket from helsinki to berlin destination all of the 3 tickets are combine together starting from brisbane international airport ?

Or 3 separated tickets or one together combine or single. Who knows.

I only brought airline tickects from Expedia website. Even as i print out my alternary it doesnt look anything like a ticket.

But also if i was to check in online before i head to the brisbane international airport would i be printing my real tickets from home first ? if so 3 tickets together or single tickets or does the airport check in would give me all that instead as real tickets rather then paper?

Course maybe just maybe i might only aloud to print out 1 ticket from brisbane to singapore. And the rest i must deal at singapore check in again follow by helsinki check in again to get a boarding pass ticket.

So as you can see i dont no. Im a single traveler. It be my experience and im really exicted of my trip. With everyones help in here it does help alot to understand.

Im only learning as everyone tell me how it works. So i preciate it very much.

Sorry for asking quite alot. I don't have anyone else to talk about it.

take care/

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
reviews: 156
6. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

I believe that the departure time shown is when the aircraft doors are closed and the plane is ready to taxi down the runway. The actual take off time depends on the traffic controllers /number of flights queued up, the weather, how far it has to taxi from its gate to the runway it has to take off from, etc,. Arrival is when it's wheels are supposed to touch down on the tarmac, you have to taxi to your gate, disembark all the passengers then perhaps go to the transit counter, depends on what they tell you at Brisbane being your first departure point. If you are in Singapore dont follow the bulk of the passengers and go down the stairs to Immigration.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 5
7. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

Please maddiiv follow LsBob's advice- do not follow the crowd downstairs to Singapore immigration. If you are not sure where to go at any point ask someone. Most other travellers are more than happy to help out or look for someone who works for an airline or the airport.

I once sat next to a young girl from Brisbane to Singapore who was getting a connecting flight to somewhere in Europe. She was very nervous about what to do. I tried to explain it as clearly as I could to her not to go downstairs like I was. (I was having a stopover). Sure enough as i headed off the other side i could see her in the line waiting to enter Singapore!

My experience with codeshares in and out of Singapore is that you may get the boarding passes when you check in, in Brisbane but they will often want you to go to the transfer desk in Singapore and get it changed for one the next airline prints themselves.

Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 87
8. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

If you booked through Expedia, that is the primary source for getting your e-ticket. You also must contact them if you need to do changes to the flights - the airlines will refer you back to Expedia. You should keep monitoring your flights for possible schedule changes, which are possible when the flights are 10 months in the future.

They should have sent you (as e-mail) the electronic ticket which includes all flights included in your booking. The document will have the words "electronic ticket" or "itinerary". It must also include the e-ticket number which is 3+10 (sometimes 3+11) digits. It is good to print this out as a reference for yourself, although the airlines will be able to look up the ticket information using your passport information.

As already stated, 1h 40min is enough time to change planes in Helsinki, including going through the Schengen area border control and the security check for transit passengers. The intercontinental Finnair flights have fairly generous schedules, since the company wants to make sure that people make their connecting flights to Europe. The passengers terminating their trips in Helsinki are usually a minority. Helsinki is also a rather small airport, so there is seldom a need to taxi for huge distances or wait for a gate to become free. If the flight from Singapore is badly delayed, Finnair has also a 5pm flight to Berlin, so you might end up on that.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
9. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

Hi,

As an informational piece...

Airlines internally use and refer to two sets of times.. Wheels Up/Down and Block time.

Block time is the time at which the aircraft actually pushes back from the gate/stand or the time the aircrafts brakes are released. On the arrival side it also the time at which the brakes are set at the arrival gate.

it is also used when asking what is the TOTAL time of he flight as measured from gate to gate. You'd call this, or ask this as "What's today's block time going to be?"

Wheels Up/Down time is, as the name implies, the time at which the wheels (or gears) leave the ground or first touch the ground. Effectively this is what one might call "in flight" time.

Block time is naturally the longer of the two times as it includes all hr inflight time (or time between wheels up and wheels down) plus the time necessary to taxi from the gate to actual take off, as well as any delays incurred or experienced, like weather or air traffic control, that occur before actual wheels up or gate congestion after wheels down.

Block time for carriers is critical as for most aiines that is the time point at which their pilots and cabin crews are paid. They are effectively not directly paid for any time before or after the breaks are set or released.

For public scheduling and informational purposes, most airlines use "block out" time (or the tome the brakes are released at the departure gate) as the posted departure time and use "wheels down" time for their arrival time.

So, from a passenger perspective, there's two take always:

1) On the departure side, remember that while the posted departure time may say 1700 (example) most airlines close the doors in preparation for departure at least :05 before that.

2) On the arrivals side, depending on the airport in question and the aircraft traffic at that time, there can be as much as :15 spent taxing from the runway after wheels down, until you get to the actual gate. So again a 1900 (example) arrival might mean you're not at the gate and not deplaning until around 1915.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 8:53 am, March 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
10. Re: My flight from australia to europe. Times and airline.

It could be my imagination - and other Aussie forum regulars might be able to confirm..... But the syntax and detail in the OPs posts are looking a little too familiar and I think we are being taken for a ride by a rather well known t.roll.