We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

California
reviews: 30
Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

We have purchased travel insurance from multiple companies in the past. We never had a problem with any of them until we bought Allianz.

They would not honor the pre-existing medical conditions clause and denied our claim based on a loophole.

I had purchased the policy online through insuremytrip.com (a great company by the way) -- discussing the case with them today, they're forwarding it to a claims advocate.

But I wanted to warn people against buying Allianz. I found out that even if they do approve your claim, they can 'pay' by giving you credit towards future insurance policies through Allianz instead of refunding your money!

I've learned the hard way -- read ALL the fine print, even stuff you didn't know was there. Keep scrolling / reading to the very end of the policy, especially the 'General Exclusions' which they hold against you.

46 replies to this topic
Nannup, Australia
reviews: 23
1. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

<<read ALL the fine print, even stuff you didn't know was there. Keep scrolling / reading to the very end of the policy, especially the 'General Exclusions' which they hold against you.>>

By the sounds of it the title of this thread should be 'Allianz insurance apply the T&Cs of the policy as they are written down and we agreed to when we purchased it'.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds
reviews: 130
2. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

Agree with Numbat. I'd say they can be trusted if they stick to their T&C's.

3. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, March 09, 2013

4. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, March 09, 2013

London, United...
reviews: 23
5. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

Well yes, one should read the small print all the way to the end, of course, before buying. Issue is people dont like buying insurance, so look for the best deal high level, that seems cost effective. They don't particulary want to spend time reading and comparing and probably buying a bigger cost policy from a better company because it costs more, and they hope to never have to use it anyway, so quick and easy is normally the route taken.

Tonbe fair though on the other side, it's really not unusual for some smaller insurance companies to try their damdest to not pay a claim, which they should pay.

However in this instance, I agree, the op appears to be saying they bought a policy and did not read the terms and conditions, specifically in relation to what was excluded, and is now publicly blaming the insurance company for the fact they did not know it was excluded or how payment was made. Articulating that they hold the general exclusions against you,which is very strange, the exclusions are the exclusions are the exclusions, so I can't quite get my head round that, but that appears to be what it is.

Maybe the op will give further detail.

London
reviews: 73
6. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

I wouldn't really count Allianz as one of the smaller insurance companies!

Berkeley, CA
reviews: 11
7. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

Insurance companies are in business to collect premiums and deny claims. You can read every word in the policy, understand it completely, and still have a legitimate claim denied in the hope that you will go away. Saying that "I'd say they can be trusted if they stick to their T&C's" (#2) misses the point. Policies can be, and usually are, ambiguous and open to interpretation, at least in part. That the company finds that it is justified in denying the claim doesn't make them correct or trustworthy, only self interested. Certainly the op hasn't conceded that the insurer is correct as some have implied. He is continuing to dispute the denial.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
8. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

I read my insurance T&Cs carefully, and have not yet had any claim refused.

australia
reviews: 17
9. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

I read my insurance T&Cs carefully, and have not yet had any claim refused.

But do you get cash or as in Allianz case credit towards future policies? That part I found astounding

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
10. Re: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted

I have always got payment in money - either a cheque or (more recently) a transfer into my bank account.

If I ever found a policy that said that payments could be in the form of a voucher towards future premiums, I would look for another insurer.

Reply to: Do not buy Allianz insurance -- they can't be trusted
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted