We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

Bournemouth, United...
reviews: 86
Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

Just flown Virgin Atlantic (Premium) to LA and then on to Hawaii (Hawaiian Airlines) all booked with Virgin. 1st - premium is not what it used to be - 12 hour flight with little food, no snacks to help yourself to, gone is the bag with pen, note pad and basic toiletries. For the price of the ticket this is cost cutting going to far! You can't get lounge access using points but the VIP service with car, lounge and swift check in is about £250 per person. Watch out when transferring to other flights as we had to pay for bags and priority seats and boarding an extra $120 each way. Virgin could of at least told us in advance. Shame on them makes BA look better value and offer better service even if the Virgin seats are a bit better.

London, United...
reviews: 22
1. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

All airlines cost cut, keeps the ticket price down.

I am confused as to your complaint, you did not get the little bag and enough food?

Re transferring to other flights,,,what do you mean? Do you mean your haiwain airlines flight? Or other flights? Were you under the impression you would get free bags, priority boarding etc on Hawaii, because you connected on virgin premium? Why would you think this?

Re lounge, no of course you can't, I am unaware of any airline that allows you in on points, it's about tier status and the benefits , again were you under the impression you could get in on points? Why?

Re the price of the VIP service, I am unsure why you are complaining about this also? How is this remotely relevant?

For the standards slipping, all I can see is you felt you did not get fed enough, which I find unusual, and you did not get a bag with a pen etc?

The rest of the complaint seems not to centre on their service levels slipping, but more on the fact you personally feel it's all too expensive, and appear to have wanted first class service for premium economy money?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

Virgin Atlantic has recently been (re-)upgraded to 4 star.

www.airlinequality.com/news/081112_virgin.htm

London, United...
reviews: 22
3. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

All in a very bizzare post,. Entitled . "Standards slipping", then focusing only on cost for things they want but have not purchased and personally feel too expensive.

Apart from the volume/ quantity of in flight feeding and complimentary bag issue.i can't see how standards have slipped based on this post? Maybe the op has omitted some details on how standards have slipped in premium economy?

London, England...
reviews: 117
4. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

Strangely defensive comment from the other respondent there as if anyone who criticises Virgin is to be condemned. Wonder why that is. I have the same experience - TV screen wasn't working and no alternative to help with that, seat area not cleaned when I got on so a few stray crisp wrappers, food service much more basic than it was 12 months ago. I'm sure the respondent here must have much more experience "onboard" but others are entitled to their opinions. I paid £2200 for my premium ticket (Upper on return to be fair) to the US recently and it wasn't anywhere near as good as recent BA or United trips. Nothing too awful but definitely a case of standards slipping a bit compared to just a while back. I used to fly every month at least with Virgin to Delhi and Mumbai in both Premium and Upper until a year or two back and there is a general slippage in what was a very high quality product. Its still good but not what it was. I think perhaps Not all airlines have gone as far as Virgin. The same applies to the Upper cabin which is where I would normally travel except on the more expensive and day time (non sleep) routes so before the other respondent also accuses me of trying to expect First and pay Premium...please do me the courtesy of reading the whole post please.

We all expect cost reductions but we do reasonably compare airlines and surely the point of forums is to make such observations without fear of aggressive responses.

London
reviews: 73
5. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

But wouldn't the recent upgrade by Skytrax suggest that it was getting better?

London, England...
reviews: 117
6. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

Quite possibly, but I can only really comment on my own experience in the last few days not the general survey. I thought the purpose of the forums was to Offer genuine honest feedback based on real experiences rather than simply rush to share survey results. The other respondent appears never to have actually used Virgin in either of their superior cabins (as a customer at least ) hence why their multiple and extreme reactions seem rather odd.

London
7. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

I'm hoping you're wrong! Last flew Virgin upper in 2011 LHR-JFK and was quite impressed. I fly again tomorrow NRT-LHR

Will let you know

Llandudno North...
reviews: 17
8. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

How can they be wrong? They have their opinion and it won't change. You may disagree but it still won't make them wrong.

:-)

London
9. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

Fair enough. I'm hoping that the assumption that one bad flight can be extrapolated over the entire fleet is wrong.

uk
reviews: 147
10. Re: Virgin Atlantic - Standards Slipping

There is an article in today's Sunday Times about spiralling losses as Virgin Atlantic, and a cost/pay freeze - so I guess if it's short of money it can't afford to overspend on service etc