We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open return tickets

Juan-les-pins...
reviews: 63
Open return tickets

Hi, am going to Peru this winter, and want to know if I can buy an open return, as I don't know when I want to come back. I will be leaving from France, but can leave from any other European city if neccessary.

I know these tickets are more expensive as I. Am used to buying them for Asia travel.

Any help , please ?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 74
1. Re: Open return tickets

I don't know about open ended, but most airlines, at least in the US where I am, offer a fully refundable ticket option. If you buy that, you can change the return around as much as you like.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
2. Re: Open return tickets

I'm not aware of any "open return" tickets but most airlines will sell a fully flexible ticket which will allow changes at a later date at either no or minimal fee.

These tickets are normally very expensive and the alternative would be to buy a cheaper ticket and pay the rees/fare difference charges that apply if or when you want to change it but the amount will not be known until you come to do it.

The flexibility you are looking for comes at a price.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 84
3. Re: Open return tickets

Some countries, and I'm not sure about Peru have as an immigration requirement that you have a flight scheduled out before your tourist visa expires.

Peru has a maximum duration of 183 days on a tourist visa. They do usually require you to have a return or onward ticket, but I'm not sure if they care about what the dates are on it.

New York City, New...
4. Re: Open return tickets

Since the time of electronic tickets, open returns are not allowed worldwide.

Earlier (about 8-10yrs) ago there use to be paper tickets, back then it was possible. But not anymore.

Arkansas
reviews: 19
5. Re: Open return tickets

Because of the work I do, I often know when I'm going, but have no clue to when I'm returning.

My travels have included Peru. What I do is just buy the best deal I can find on a round trip fair, putting the return date somewhere close to when I think I may return. Then when I know for a fact I'm leaving, I just change the ticket. As a general rule it costs $150 to change the ticket, and the fare change has been any where from $0 to $125.

The only danger is if you stay for over a year, like I did once, then you loose the return ticket.

Juan-les-pins...
reviews: 63
6. Re: Open return tickets

Thanks everyone, so what I need is an Air France or KLM return ticket to Peru, with the possibility of changing the return date for an amount of money, right ?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 364
7. Re: Open return tickets

Yes. For a fee or for free.

https:/…tarif_pour_tous_airfrance.htm

8. Re: Open return tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 13, 2014