We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic 1st class in US

Newcastle, Australia
Domestic 1st class in US

Couple of questions regarding first class in USA:

1. Is United or US the better option?

2. On a stopover is lounge access available?

3. Can infants travel in first class? My wife seems to think not.

4. What are the main differences? Been a few years since I did 1st in the States.

Planning on using miles for travel so not a paid fare.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
1. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

I think United would be better but depends on route and equipment.

Lounge access depends on your itinerary and frequent flyer status.

I wonder what made your partner believe infants aren't allowed in F. They are of course allowed!

Main differences are larger seat, similar to QF domestic business class for the most part. Meals on longer flights and free booze too.

Newcastle, Australia
2. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

Route would be either LAX-CLT or LAX-MCO.

Currently no status with United, the first time in many years.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
3. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

1. They are pretty much the same.

2. No- domestic first class passengers do not get lounge access.

3. Yes- babies are allowed.

4. The main difference is the larger seat. You will not get meals on flights less than 3.5 hours, so on short flights the only difference is occasionally getting a real glass for your drink and some chips.

I would not consider purchasing first class for any flight in the continental US.

Edited: 11:06 pm, March 07, 2013
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 53
4. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

I'd still pick United on that routing.

Newcastle, Australia
5. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

Wow it seems things have changed quite a bit since the last time I travelled in the pointy end of the plane!

I will look to book the direct flight, which I think is a bit under 5 hours. Would there be some type of meal provided on this length flight in F?

Arkansas
reviews: 13
6. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

I can only speak about Delta, however most of the major airlines have very similar rules.

Why you want 1st class domestic:

You do get lounge access, doesn't matter what level you are or even if you are a member of their frequent flyer program, first class gets access.

Short flights less than 3 hours anything from cookies/chips to a light snack. Longer flights hot meal. Of course all free.

All drinks free.

Extra baggage, a biggie for some of us!

Free pre-boarding. Remember some are now charging to let you on early.

You don't have to pay extra so sit next to your loved one. Many airlines now charge extra for isle/window seats in the back.

Yes kids are allowed, but rare to see any. To be honest another reason I like the front.

As for United, I would take a bus before I would ever use them again. However that's just a personal thing with me, some people have had better luck than I with them.

London, UK
reviews: 112
7. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

Domestic 1st is pretty disappointing whoever you fly with - it's certainly nothing like long-haul 1st or even long-haul business for that matter. Just a bigger seat with more legroom, a free 'meal' or snack, pre-boarding, and being at the front of the plane you're off quickly when you land. The lounges are generally unexciting too.

I occasionally use domestic 1st as it's often not much more expensive than economy if you're buying the domestic leg as part of a transatlantic ticket, but otherwise I'm not sure I'd bother. Even coast to coast is only 5 hours so comfort is not the priority it is on a long flight.

Limerick, Ireland
8. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

Flights between LAX - MCO

see Virgin America

Newcastle, Australia
9. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

yeah rick I looked at VA but it's still $1500 for my family. I can cash in some of my United miles and it costs me $30.

so would you spend double the miles for 1st if travelling with 4 kids under 9?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 14
10. Re: Domestic 1st class in US

"You do get lounge access, doesn't matter what level you are or even if you are a member of their frequent flyer program, first class gets access."

Further to post 6 it's not true that travelling in domestic first class will get you lounge access - the rules vary by airline but with UA you only get access oif your flying international 1st class not domestic.

https:/…access.aspx