We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

Melbourne, Australia
Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

Hi im sure this topic has been covered many tiems but i cant seem to find the forums. i will be on my honeymoon and will be flying from nice to venice and then from milan to athens/santorini. We will be away for a month so we will need to have at least one big luggage bag,

i would just like to know the checked baggage policy for both airlines. my understanding is that if i book a ticket with aegean i get one free checked bag (under the plane) and one free carry one. whereas if i book with easy jet i get one free hold baggage (in the plane) but the bag has to be a certain size and one free carry on?

so i from what i gather its much better to just go with aegean as i can check a big bag of up to 20 KG under the plane where as easyjet i can bring 20KG but the bag has to be a certain size.

is this correct?

Thanks

Kent
reviews: 41
1. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

with aegean you can book a 20kg case free plus 1 carry on, with easyjet it's the same 20kg case which you pay for, it's cheaper at time of booking rather than at the airport and 1 free carry on which has to fit into the metal frame, exact sizes are on there website but it's the usual size allowed for carry on's, no weight limit but you have to be able to lift it into the overhead compartments.

the 20kg case doesn't have to be a certain size with ej, only the carry on, hope this is clear

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
2. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

"the 20kg case doesn't have to be a certain size with ej,"

Well, it has to have a total volume (height + lenght +width) of less than 275cm though it's hard to imagine a suitcase that doesn't.

@OP: The airline website should always be the first place you look for this sort of info. It's usually easily obtainable.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

I would research this more.

Yes you get a free checked bag (20kg limit) with Ageean. BUT if your bags are overweight, Aegean's excess baggage policy can be severe -

From their website -

"Excess baggage charges

On domestic flights, passengers will be charged €2 for each kilo over the appropriate limit. On international flights the charge for each excess kilo will be equivalent to 1.5% of the official IATA fare. For more information, please contact our reservations department."

…aegeanair.com/travel-information/…

That "official IATA fare" is usually the most expensive fare available (not the fare you paid). So you could end up with a charge of something like £30 ($45) per kg. So be careful, in case your checked luggage it as the 20kg limit or overweight.

Regulars will probably remember this thread from last year. It was hilarious as it was posted by a lawyer who failed to read the legal T+C's (and who'd earlier ranted about being caught speeding). Hopefully you won't need this lawyer, but could learn from his mistakes by doing research (which by asking on here first you are actually doing) - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5075933…

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
4. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

Beyond the luggage question that has been answered above, I'd choose with no hesitation Aegan! Easyjet is a low cost airline where you have to pay onboard for anything you'd like. Aegan is a regular airline, member of StarAlliance.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
5. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

Just price out both airlines properly for your own individual needs before deciding..

EasyJet's charges for the basic hold baggage allowance are low if booked online. And EasyJet has no weight limit for cabin baggage (provided you can lift it into the overhead lockers yourself unaided), whereas Aegean's limit is 8 kg.

Although EasyJet has a strict one bag rule for cabin baggage - so a laptop, or women's handbag must be placed inside your cabin baggage.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 132
6. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

It's a no brainer for me - Aegean is full service, easy jet isn't. Go the full service option every time. Aegean are really good.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
7. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

Depends on the total cost against the benefits. If Aegean is £300 more than easyJet then it would be very hard to argue for Aegean.

So it isn't a no-brainer for me especially when I can pick up a sandwich and bottle of "something" at the airport for a few quid that will last me the flight.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
8. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

Not a no-brainer for me either.

How much food/drink do you want on a 2.5 hour flight anyway? For short European flights, 'full service' airlines generally give you a very limited food choice indeed, of snack-like items that you might well not normally choose to eat if they weren't 'free' (i.e. their cost is built into the flight price).

Now that EasyJet automatically provides allocated seats, there is very little difference in the flight experience to that using an Economy ticket on a traditional airline.

Melbourne, Australia
9. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

Thanks for you reply everyone. Defintely helped me make a decision! Just wanted to know that Aegean have free checked baggage with the fair. Will definitely choose the full service. And unless EJ Is 100 euro more I think i will go Aegean! Thanks again for all you reply guys

10. Re: Aegean or Easyjet for checked baggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 11, 2014