We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways charging for checked baggage

Devon
reviews: 23
British Airways charging for checked baggage

Looks like the enevitable has happened; BA now have two economy seat prices, a with or a without checked baggage.

The flights I looked at were £15 extra to check in baggage but the return flight only had with baggage price. (Gatwick to Malaga)

Didn't know this was on the cards but I'm not surprised.

31 replies to this topic
uk
reviews: 186
1. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

British Airways are NOT charging for extra baggage,

This is a myth fostered by poor reporting.

What they are doing is offering discounts off current fares for those who do not check in luggage on certain routes.

I suppose those flying on these discounted tickets without checked luggage could turn around and say "It costs extra to check luggage" - but only if the rules of English meaning are dismissed.

Repeat - fly today with British Airways and check a bag and the ticket price is the same as before and the free bag check still applies - how is that "charging for checked baggage?!

Edited: 2:55 am, March 07, 2013
Devon
reviews: 23
2. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

jeremy, if like me, you look up a flight and see two prices one with and one without checked baggage, the former being more expensive, then it's not unreasonable to make the misconception that BA are charging for bags.

My judgement was made after accessing the website, not reading "poor reports" and I'm sure that I won't be the only one.

Unless one has any idea of the prices prior to this change then how is one to know if the new price represents a decrease?

More like poor communication to me!

Swindon, UK
3. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

Appears to only be for Gatwick flights on short haul from what I can see. So it could only be a trial hence no real information about it.

London
reviews: 21
4. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

British Airways are NOT charging for extra baggage <<<

Have two flights booked with B.A. prior to their dual pricing. The price I paid is now the price for no baggage - price for baggage now £15 more.

Swindon, UK
5. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

A bit more info on BA.com

"Hand baggage only - Frequently Asked Questions

How does the hand baggage only fare work?

The hand baggage only fare means our customers bring no hold baggage, but are still able to benefit from our generous hand baggage allowance and take one piece (plus a handbag or laptop bag) on board. The new hand baggage only fares will be available for selected direct European (including domestic) flights to and from London Gatwick and will start at just £39 one way. These fares will not be available on any flights with connections and may not be used via London Heathrow or London City airports.

Customers will be able to purchase the hand baggage only fares via ba.com, which now offers both hand baggage only, and the standard fares for customers with bags to check in.

When does hand baggage only start?

Hand baggage only fares will go on sale on 19 February 2013 for travel from 26 February 2013 on the following routes: Gatwick to and from Amsterdam, Jersey, Dubrovnik, Turin and Tunis.

Other Gatwick shorthaul routes follow at a later stage. The fares apply to shorthaul routes operated by British Airways with a BA flight prefix, and are not available on flights operated by franchise or codeshare partners.

Does this mean British Airways is charging for bags?

No, British Airways will continue to offer shorthaul economy fares including a checked baggage allowance (one item at 23kg). Hand baggage only fares provide an additional lower cost choice for customers who do not wish to take checked baggage."

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
6. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

This was announced on Feb 19 and is discussed here -

tripadvisor.com/…47402754

uk
7. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

"Have two flights booked with B.A. prior to their dual pricing. The price I paid is now the price for no baggage - price for baggage now £15 more"

Prices fluctuate all the time - The post above has all the info - BA have not upped all their fares by the amount of the baggage fee so they can still offer no bag charges.

But I don't expect this to stop the "they are now charging for bags" posts to come

London
reviews: 21
8. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

Indeed prices fluctuate all the time - yes true but all I am saying is prices paid prior to this announcement that had been constant for weeks suddenly became the price for unchecked luggage for all dates, when this policy was implemented. Probably a coincidence prices were adjusted at this particular time.

uk
9. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

Any evidence of a wholesake hiking of BA airfares across multiple routes? I've not noticed it, nor has this been flagged up by others.

Brisbane
reviews: 26
10. Re: British Airways charging for checked baggage

Or "British Airways offers discount for having no check in luggage", it's a glass half full sort of thing.

Reply to: British Airways charging for checked baggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted