Planning a trip to Vancouver. All flight options involve transit through either LAX, SFO, or DFW.
QANTAS flies in to DFW terminal D, and a (QANTAS codeshare) connecting flight to Vancouver also from terminal D. Returning flights also use terminal D.
- how difficult is it to transfer between flights in the same terminal at DFW?
- does US customs have to be cleared, do I need to collect and re-check my luggage?
- on the return trip I believe US customs is actually cleared in Canada. Does this make the transfer in DFW as simple as waltzing from one gate to the next?
Another option is to fly United to SFO then to Vancouver
In SFO I would arrive at the international terminal but the flight to Vancouver is from terminal 3.
- Why does a flight to Canada not leave from the international terminal?!?
- Do I have to clear US customs and re-check baggage? Do I need to lug my bags to terminal 3 or can they be rechecked in the international terminal?
- the time between flights is 2 hours 30 minutes. Will this be sufficient? What would you recommend as the minimum?
The return trip would see me going Vancouver to LAX to Australia.
The incoming United flight arrives at LAX terminal 8 and the outgoing flight departs from LAX terminal 7.
- again, US customs is cleared in Vancouver, right?
- How simple is the transfer between terminals in LAX for United flights? Will I have to collect bags and re-check in LAX? Do I need to pass through a customs line to exit the USA, or is this also handled in Vancouver?
- the time between flights is a little over 1 hour. Is tis sufficient, given that I will be transferring from a United flight to another United flight? What would be a safe minimum?
Would there be any benefit to flying IN through LAX, or OUT through SFO, given that United is the carrier?