We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 73
US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

I have family that live close to Bristol, and I live in the North East US. I much prefer to fly in to Bristol than Heathrow to avoid a long drive after a sleepless night on a plane.

I flew out of Bristol yesterday and a large advert caught my eye as I drove past - it seemed to imply that there are, or will be direct flights from the East Coast somewhere to Bristol. Unfortunately I missed the airline that was offering this.

This would make it far more attractive that the itinerary I flew this trip, through AMS.

When I look at the Bristol Airport website, all I see are connecting flights through Dublin or Paris.

Unfortunately, without knowing which US gateways this service flies to and from or which airline, I'm not sure what to search for.

Can anyone help?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 130
1. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

I think it is something that United/Continental looked at before. Not sure if they are still planning on this or if due to the merger it was put on hold.

Edited: 11:39 am, March 06, 2013
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
2. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

Just had a search and on the wiki page for Bristol airport and it mentions that Continental flew direct from Newark between 2005 & 2010.

UK
reviews: 89
3. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

I'm wondering if Aer LIngus might do this? Not direct but using Bristol as a feeder into Dublin. In Dublin you'd undergo USA immigration, so you'd land in the USA as off a domestic flight, and you wouldn't have the backtracking you have on an AMS route.

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
4. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

as far as I can tell Thomson Airways operate a seasonal service to Orlando-Sanford from Bristol but that's about it

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse
reviews: 73
5. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

I used to do the Continental route and loved the convenience, although I'm not a fan of the airline. Was very upset when they stopped it.

Yes, the Aer Lingus through Dublin is an option, as is Air France through Paris (both are on the Bristol airport website).

There was a very large poster right outside the airport, so whatever they were promoting (whether non-stop or via somewhere else) must be planned, otherwise they wouldn't have spent the money on the ad... I wish I had read the sign more thoroughly now, but it was early morning and I was focused on dropping off my car and getting through security.

I even tried the itasoftware's matrix and it didn't come up with anything direct, so I was wondering if anyone with an inside track knew anything.

Thanks for your help so far!

UK
reviews: 89
6. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

IF you know where it was, you might get lucky with Google Streetview?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
reviews: 246
7. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

or the Bristol forum. A helpful DE may do a drive-by for you.

or post on here

pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/281795-b…

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
8. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

I've had a google for the story and found a link which confirms what Joe suggested earlier in that it could be flights via Dublin.

It might be an idea to post in the Bristol forum, someone local there may be aware of something.

thisisbristol.co.uk/Flights-America-Bristol-…

London
reviews: 35
9. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

Looks like it is the Aer Lingus route to and from Dublin with an Aer Arann connection to/from Bristol.

The beauty of this route is that all passengers clear US Immigration and Customs whilst waiting in Dublin, and arrive effectively as domestic passengers in the US. For non-US citizens this is a real boon as it cuts out the lengthy waits at Immigration in the US (2 hours is not uncommon for non-US passport holders).

The Aer Arann connections are offered to and from other UK airports too, including London Southend.

Edited: 12:58 pm, March 06, 2013
Romford, United...
reviews: 23
10. Re: US East Coast direct to Bristol, UK

wirewiper

using this service next month flying Southend to Dublin next month with Aer Lingus then DUB-ORD with AA will let you know how much longer it takes(if any) to go through INS and Customs now the sequester has kicked in

Get answers to your questions
Recent Conversations