We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

Toronto
Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

Since Westjet is limiting carry-on bags to one in the future, it appears we'll have to find another airline to travel with. I'm curious what other travellers are saying about this?

UK
reviews: 87
1. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

I'm curious what other travellers are saying about this?

======

This traveller is saying "whats the big deal?" and "why does this matter?"

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

It was announced today - http://bit.ly/YU4vKe

Apparently WS previously allowed two carry ons, plus a personal item. From April 4 that becomes one carry on plus a personal item.

>> it appears we'll have to find another airline to travel with .... <<

Well good luck with that, as I don't know of any others that have an allowance that generous.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 43
3. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

There is a mass freak-out going on on WestJet's Facebook page....

Get's a big old shrug from me. You can still CHECK one free bag as far as I'm aware (for domestic flights anyway) so check it and carry on whatever the regulations state.

I think its a good thing actually. I'm sick to death of people carrying on massive bags by the dozen.

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 36
4. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

I've heard people give a lot of different reasons for switching airlines, but never this, and if you're actually serious in your claim about switching airlines over it, then I suspect you'll be doing a lot of driving! 1 carry-on plus a personal article is pretty much the standard. Airlines all vary in the allowable weight and dimensions, but a limit of 1 bag is fairly common.

Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I'd want to even try to carry on 2 bags plus a personal item, even if it was allowed. That's a lot to try to carry down a narrow airplane aisle.

Sunshine Coast...
reviews: 22
5. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

When I first read this I assumed that they were reducing the "normal" allowance of 1 carry on bag plus 1 personal item to just 1 bag which is already the rule for some airlines. If they offer a free checked bag I can't understand the problem?

Surely if everyone brings 2 bags and a personal item over half the plane will need to check their carryon anyway?

I think it's a good thing.

South Pole
reviews: 39
6. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

good move, westjet!

and now enforce the rule!

many others have the same rule but never apply it.

Canada
reviews: 45
7. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

Paul D- I say good for WestJet. I am among the growing number of people who are tired of others trying to put everything but the kitchen sink in the overheads!!!

Toronto
8. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

You musn't travel too much because one bag in the overhead and one under the seat in front is the only way to travel. Westjet isn't getting my business unless they reverse their policy. Alternatives are American Airlines and Air Canada for flights out of Toronto.

Canada
reviews: 27
9. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

Paul: I really thought that WJ was one carry on and one personal item anyways!

I saw the announcement on tonight's news and didn't quite know what the fuss was about! You can still bring your two bags onboard--the personal carryon is the smaller size.

The interesting non-announced part today was the three levels of seat class for new bookings: Econo, Flex and Plus (which is the first three rows and exit rows). Increased change fees for Econo will be in effect, no more $50 change fees.

Edited: 9:52 pm, March 05, 2013
Calgary, Canada
reviews: 43
10. Re: Westjet - one carry on bag policy begins next month

No, you must NOT travel a lot because this is Air Canada's carry on regulations.

aircanada.com/en/…carry-on.html

"Carry-on baggage allowance*:

1 standard article and 1 personal article"

..and you pay for checked baggage to the States.

So good luck with that.

Edited: 10:15 pm, March 05, 2013