We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OneWorld RTW Ticket

Saint Louis...
OneWorld RTW Ticket

Has anyone bought a RTW ticket with OneWorld (American Airlines, etc...)? If so, can you start in another continent? The tickets are $2500 more if I start in the US vs Amman, Jordan, which would be the second leg of our trip. I figured I could just buy a ticket home on my own for less than the $2500 difference. When I price it out starting in Jordan, it gives me prices in USD. Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
South Pole
reviews: 39
1. Re: OneWorld RTW Ticket

yes u can start in another continent as long as u end your journey there.

Madrid
reviews: 7
2. Re: OneWorld RTW Ticket

Khartoum Sudan used to be the cheapest place to start.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
3. Re: OneWorld RTW Ticket

Yes, the price is different depending on where you start and end, and yes, I've used various countries for origination when the savings for the RTW ticket were noticeably greater than the cost to get to and from the start/end country. Over the years I've used Turkey, Japan, Sweden and South Africa in this manner. At the moment, Jordan and Israel are relatively "cheap" for business-class Oneworld Explorer tickets (also, surprisingly, Denmark) but not as cheap as some other places, namely South Africa and Namibia. But obviously getting to Jordan is (somewhat) cheaper than getting to, say, Cape Town, unless you happen to live in Hermanus.

One important factor, however, is that the base price for the RTW is only part of the story. Depending on who sells the ticket, and which airlines you take for various segments, fees and "fuel surcharges" can add up to 20% or more of the face cost of the ticket to the bottom line. In particular, British Airways really whacks you for fuel surcharges (shown as code "YQ" on the taxes and fees breakout) while tickets issued by American Airlines will have (usually) a much, much smaller number for "fuel fines." Stopovers in the UK will lead to having UK Air Passenger Duty assessed on your departure from the UK, which can also be a big number. There are lots of wrinkles in the price picture for Oneworld Explorer RTW tickets.

One last thing, I'd really urge you to think about business class instead of coach. The reason is that you can earn so many frequent flyer miles in a well-constructed business RTW that you can leverage extensive business- or first-class travel long after the RTW is finished. I personally buy a business-class RTW every other year, and earn enough miles (and FF status) that I really don't have to pay for a lot of travel in the "off" year. So if you think "strategically" you can stretch your budget effectively, and fly comfortably in the meantime.

Saint Louis...
4. Re: OneWorld RTW Ticket

Thanks for all the replies!! Would I be able to just use my American credit card even if I start in a different country? I've read conflicting opinions about if this is possible. I've purchased many things with my credit card in foreign currency and they just do the conversion and tack on a fee.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
5. Re: OneWorld RTW Ticket

Yes, you can purchase your ticket online using your US credit card - go to www.oneworld.com and follow the links to the Oneworld Explorer online booking tool.

If you book out of Jordan and Royal Jordanian is the first airline you use, then the ticket will actually be issued by American Airlines. (RJ contracts with AA for this purpose.) Unfortunately there seems to be a bug in the online RTW tool at Oneworld whereby everything goes swell until the credit card screen, then it goes fubar and gives you some BS message. This doesn't happen every time, but often enough that Oneworld has received a lot of grief over it, but no solution seems forthcoming.

If this happens, my suggestion is to phone the AA RTW desk, in the US 1-800-247-3247 and talk to them. They are the real pros in this whole business and hopefully they can sort things out.

But yes, I always use my US credit card for RTW ticket purchases.

Saint Louis...
6. Re: OneWorld RTW Ticket

That's great! Thanks for all the help!

7. Re: OneWorld RTW Ticket

Hi there,

I see you're up to speed on business and first class oneworld tickets and where they're cheapest.

Where are the cheapest countries for first class at the moment?

I see South Africa as not bad around 12,000 but any other countries?

Cheers

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
8. Re: OneWorld RTW Ticket

South Africa, Namibia and the Seychelles. Of course you have to get there to start. Japan is around $1000 more, but cheaper (for many people) to access.

Edited: 12:35 am, January 05, 2014
Reply to: OneWorld RTW Ticket
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted