We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VietJet or Jet Star

Dublin, Ireland
VietJet or Jet Star

I am booking my trip to Vietnam and i'm looking at internal flights. The budget ones seem to be VietJet and Jet star.

Has anyone flown with these before?

I've heard horror stories from people and not being a great flyer would try to avoid added stress.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated?

Cheers,Rich

9 replies to this topic
Worthing UK
reviews: 83
1. Re: VietJet or Jet Star

If you look on the Vietnam forum there are many threads on jetstar and Vietjet. I've flown both. Had problems with Jetstar (spit!!!) but not Vietjet.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
2. Re: VietJet or Jet Star

Vietnam Airlines. The extra you pay is worth the repeatability IMO.

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 38
3. Re: VietJet or Jet Star

Both carriers often have delays because they have so few planes, but Jetstar Pacific is at the bottom of the pile. As Yorkie says, VN is the way to go - vacation time is too valuable to waste it sitting in an airport.

London
reviews: 73
4. Re: VietJet or Jet Star

Vietjet are actually pretty good. They're a fairly new airline and very competitively priced.

I've flown them from Da Nang to Hanoi and back - no issues with either flight. Both departed on time and arrived early.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 52
5. Re: VietJet or Jet Star

Er, that was meant to be, "reliability". Dratted autocorrect :-/

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 53
6. Re: VietJet or Jet Star

I've experienced a lot of delays on Jetstar Pacific. The fares on all airlines in Vietnam are relatively cheap so I'd pay a bit more and go with Vietnam Airlines. They have more flights and you'll get to your destination sooner if you have to be put on another service.

7. Re: VietJet or Jet Star

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:58 am, March 11, 2013

Terrigal, Australia
reviews: 250
8. Re: VietJet or Jet Star

another vote for Vietnam Airlines (both international and domestic)

check out the VN forum for further details on the cheapies !

Sunshine Beach...
reviews: 48
9. Re: VietJet or Jet Star

A late post from me but thought I'd contribute to the discussion anyway. I flew Vietjet from Saigon to Phu Quoc. I only had carry on and they are strict with the 1 bag limit and altho i was just under the 7kg limit, nobody checked the weight of my bag. i did not that one passenger had an oversize bag, which they allowed, but had him stow it somewhere else as it was too big for the overhead storage. Some people! How hard is it, really, to have the right size back. You can get a cheap small backpack from a discount shop for $10. Plane was on time, flight comfortable, good English by the hosties. Full plane load of passengers, mostly locals and Russian tourists. Must be their version of Bali - Phu Quoc is full of them. Whilst the flight was good, I had a terrible time making changes to other sector flights I had paid for. So much so, I had to book new ones and concede the original fares. No matter how many times I tried to make changes via the website I got the same message - reservation is not exist. (Yes, this is exactly what it said, poor English to boot). I had no response from the listed number or email address but thru TA got the email of someone who at least tried, albeit without success.. binhle@vietjetair.com - this guy tried his best and even sent requests to other staff, but responses were too late or misunderstood by them,. Eventually I did get a reply but AFTER the flights! No offer of a credit.

The other problem I've had is change of flight times with some sectors. When booking flights via the website, they list a gazillion flights for popular sectors but seem to collapse some or reschedule them without warning. found out by going thru the booking process and/or looking at theor schedule and discovering the flight i booked no longer existed. For me this means additional (on top of already long) wait times. I get into Saigon from Phu Quoc around 2pm and have to wait for a ( rescheduled) flight at 7:40pm. Excellent! I tried to change to an earlier flight via email but all booked up! A trip into the city beckons.

In saying the above, think its good there is a competitive alternative in the market and would fly with them again, anticipating reschedules. All new carriers have teething problems - think Tiger is Australia - so hopefully they'll improve. BUT, did note that Jetstar flights are going at the same rate as Vietjet now, whereas when I booked they either didn't have their schedule available at the i me i booked or they were super expensive. Maybe they're trying to win back some patrons. Vietnam Air on the other hand is p to 4-5 times more expensive.

Reply to: VietJet or Jet Star
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted