We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

Rye, New Hampshire
reviews: 14
Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

I booked two economy tickets from Boston to Heathrow on AA but it will be in BA equipment. When I went to select seats, it said I could do that once itinerary was emailed. BUT in the email I have to wait 24 hrs prior to the flight to select seats OR pay $42 each way per person to secure seats now. BA said it is their policy for the last year, but no mention of it on AA. Anyone else experience this? Recourse? Calling AA yet again.. Got cut off last night, waiting 30 minutes now to possible talk to human.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 15
1. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

If BA is the operating carrier then their rules will apply. So you'll either have to wait until online check-in opens or pay the fee.

Why do you want to pre-select seats?

Romford, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

Had all types of problems with BA service or rather the lack of it and now refuse to have anything to do with them-booked flights recently with AA Europe to USA using their own metal and hey presto with booking confirmation came the seats we wanted at no extra charge or cc fee

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
3. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

NHLadybug, BA's seat selection options have been in place since 2009. They are far from the only airline to levy optional fees for seat selection, but it can be a frustrating extra to find within a booking.

Since you're flying in Economy, BA's World Traveller, you should find a great many seats available when online check in opens. The seat map may show a reduced number of seats at 72h before departure, but that will change again at OLCI.

Be ready to check in at 24h before departure - if you need the BA PNR (pax name record or locator code) give the airline a shout for that number - for a good selection of seats at no cost to you.

4. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, March 04, 2013
Rye, New Hampshire
5. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

Wanted to make sure we sat next to each other. I just paid it. So done with BA

Edinburgh, United...
6. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

You would have had no trouble getting seats together had you not paid in advance. I've never been split from my travel partner on BA and there are always plenty of open seats available at check-in.

Dubai, UAE...
7. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

I had recent contact with American Airlines with regard to booking flights with them that were operated by British Airways.

I was inquiring about the price difference between AA and BA with regards to Club World. American Airlines was nearly 1000 less for some reason. American Airlines informed be that though the cost was less the the British Airways policies apply no matter what class of service I was flying.

American Airlines also does not offer World Traveler Plus for sale.

I have found that Booking through British Airways is the best course of action.

British Airways does not do seat assignments for long haul flights at the time of booking unless you have earned Silver or higher Executive Club status. With Bronze status you can choose your seats one week prior to check in. A British Airways Agent explained that this policy is to ensure that Executive Club members with status had the opportunity to choose the seats they wanted ahead of everyone else.

To my understanding this policy is further extended to the upper deck of the 747 even if you purchase a Club World ticket the Upper deck is pretty much reserved for those who have Silver or Higher status and have purchased a Club World ticket.

British Airways in my experience has done a great job. I have not had any problems with getting a seat that I found acceptable on any of my flights except for once however on that occasion the seat next to me was empty. ON my first two flights in World Traveler Plus I received the best seats in the World Traveler Plus cabin without even having to ask.

British Airways does a great job taking care of its passengers who have earned status with them. It is the quality of service, the World Traveler Plus Product, the ease of upgrading when available for points or money, and the on board service that keeps me flying with them.

I travel long Haul from Dubai - Atlanta with a stop in London for a day or so every 3 - 4 months.

Just be sure you continue to check the seats prior to check in and make your choices according to the seating map in your class of service as soon as check in opens. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how much availability there is.

Hong Kong
reviews: 140
8. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

The seat selection is a pain but on long haul it's comparatively cheap. On an lhr to hong kong it's 40 usd one way but n an Edinburgh London it's 20 usd one way for an hour flight! Cheeky!

I do prefer BA to AA though. The BA premium Econ is really nice if you can afford it,.

Hong Kong
reviews: 140
9. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

And from my experience it's always better to book directly with the airline, especially f you are a one world partner as miles etc collected no matter who you book with. It's just easier to change things and get updates.

Edinburgh, United...
10. Re: Booking flight to Heathrow on AA but BA is carrier. Help!

"but n an Edinburgh London it's 20 usd one way for an hour flight! "

That doesn't sound right. It's £5 which should be less than $8.