We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need name change on airline ticket

Long Island
Need name change on airline ticket

I'm looking for advice. My wife and I booked a trip to Italy flying on Alitalia Airlines. I am a US citizen, but my wife has permanent legal residency status here in the US and is still a Peruvian citizen. She has an appointment in April with the Italian Embassy to apply for a visa. The problem is that I booked the flights with my wife's married name on the tickets, but her Peruvian passport and visa will have her maiden name on it. Alitalia told me they could make no guarantees that she will be able to get on the airplane, and they flat out told me that it's impossible for us to change the name on the ticket to her maiden name. The only option they gave me was to cancel the ticket (in which case we would lose most of the money) and purchase new tickets. Please tell me there's some way around this. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bruce

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
1. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

I'm afraid there is no way around this.

Most cheap tickets do not allow a name change.

Cornwall
reviews: 9
2. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

I dont suppose there is time to change her name to her married name on the Peruvian passport and visa?

Nashville, TN
reviews: 8
3. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

Don't know if this will help (or work). But when I was a travel agent we used to advise cliennts (usually newly married) to carry a copy of their marriage license to verify the name when a situation such as yours arose.

London, United...
reviews: 22
4. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

The ticket should match the passport. It's really that simple.

You need to make a decision, take the marriage certificate and take a chance, or buy a new ticket.

But it's a risk, just because someone was denied a flight does not mean your wife will, and neither does it mean someone who was able to fly, that your wife will too.

I personally think it's a significant problem. Her maiden name is her name. If she wishes to take yours she needs to change her passport, until she does this, her legal name,,when flying, is what's on her passport, and tickets need to be booked in this name.

One of the reasons I think this, is one of the first officials you will probably encounter is Alitalia, and they are a horrible airline. For me, the first mistake was booking with them, the second was using the wrong name.

But it's not just Alitalia, you need to get through immigration and not just once, you need to do it all again coming back. Is it really worth the stress?

Long Island
5. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

It's a horrible decision because it would be $1400 flushed down the toilet. I don't understand why they can't make the name change. It's the same person.

I thought nothing of it because she flies back and forth to Peru and I always put her married name on the ticket because that's what her legal name is here in the US (green card, social security, etc.). She's never had a problem before.

South Pole
reviews: 39
6. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

can't u get a notation in her peruvian passport signifying a name change ie. to her married name?

that would possibly solve the problem

Long Island
7. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

The Peruvian embassy here in NY said they can't change names on passports. They said it has to be done in Peru. She then went to Peru for 11 days last month, tried to have it changed, but was told it takes a month.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
8. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

Does your wife have to be in Peru for the time it takes to get her passport changed? Even if she had to fly to Peru twice (to leave the passport and collect it), it may be cheaper than getting a new ticket to Italy. Not sure if this is even possible but I'm sure the last time I had my passport updated I dropped off all the stuff and then they sent it to me in registered post (but that was within the same country, so it may not be do-able).

UK
reviews: 77
9. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

<<@bhomis I thought nothing of it because she flies back and forth to Peru and I always put her married name on the ticket because that's what her legal name is here in the US (green card, social security, etc.). She's never had a problem before.>>

She's been very lucky, or the authorities are remarkably lax, as its an entirely different person flying as far as the names are concerned. What happens when they check ticket against name? Do they take her green card as proof? Her marriage certificate? Does she just say "oh I got married" and they accept her word? You must be leaving something out ????

<<@AussieGirl Even if she had to fly to Peru twice (to leave the passport and collect it)>>

How would she get out of the country without a passport? And back in? Doh!

Edited: 6:38 pm, March 04, 2013
Long Island
10. Re: Need name change on airline ticket

She brings her green card and driver's license with her married name, her passport with her maiden name, and marriage certificate.

Bruce