We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

reviews: 2
Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

I booked Easyjet to fly Rome to Sicily and canceled within 24 hours, but the cancellation fee was almost the price of the ticket. For 2 tickets to Palermo for $165, I got back only $14. When I saw that for the flight I had chosen it said "only 3 tickets left at this price," I booked it thinking that the 24 hour cancellation would be the same as US airlines and would not involve a fee, or that the fee would be the credit card surcharge. I had no idea it would almost completely wipe out my refund. Keep in mind that this booking was some 3 months before the flight making it almost certain that they will resell these seats.

Also, the only way to cancel within 24 hours is to call their customer service number in the UK. But the customer service number is answered only during regular business hours UK time not 24 hours. When I called them the day after during business hours, they did do me the "favor" of waiving the 24 hour deadline. Fortunately, I had sent them an email canceling the booking within the 24 hours. I had to get the email from a Google search as it is nowhere on the web site.

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 17
1. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

"I booked it thinking that the 24 hour cancellation would be the same as US airlines and would not involve a fee"

Sorry but why on earth would you just assume this and not check beforehand?

2. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

Because I was in a hurry.

Leyland, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
reviews: 42
3. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

You should never 'presume' when it comes to cancelling anything!

Edinburgh, United...
4. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

"Because I was in a hurry."

So a more appropriate headline would have been: "Beware, don't book tickets when in a hurry" :)

5. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

No, it's accurate. I wanted to tell people to be aware of the policy.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
reviews: 76
6. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

To your credit, you do not seem to be blaming the airline for your mistake, which is refreshing. It's always a good idea to familiarize yourself with the cancellation policy before booking any flight or hotel.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 33
7. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

I find 1/2 the websites with claims like "only 3 seats left at this price" or 3 rooms "at this price" are practicing a little smoke and mirrors.

Sometimes it is true, but more times than not they put that in as a sales tool so that you buy now instead of delaying the purchase.

Lake Crystal...
reviews: 13
8. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

OP "No, it's accurate. I wanted to tell people to be aware of the policy."

"Be aware" and "beware" send different messages, though, IMO.

9. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 pm, March 16, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
10. Re: Beware 24 Hour Cancellation Policy and Fee

That site has absolutely nothing to do with the topic of this thread.