We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TACA - a (f)lying airline

Sliema, Malta
TACA - a (f)lying airline

I had a multi-destination trip this mid-February and one leg of it was with TACA airline first class from Belize City, Belize with a plane change in Salvador to San Jose, Costa Rica.

When I get to Belize City airport for check-in, the clerk tells me that 'my seat is broken'. I never heard this one before. He kindly asks me to switch to economy, gives me a $150 voucher towards future flights and I think what a nice treatment - this is a 45-minute flight, who cares.

Imagine my surprise when I walk through and see all first class seats in mint condition and all occupied? I mean, what the heck? Why the clerk couldn't just say: "Sorry sir, we made a mistake and sold more tickets to first class than there are seats" or "we had to accommodate somebody else", I would have gladly done the same.

Now, I have a sour taste in my mouth and I will avoid flying with them ever again.

Such a shame...

Edited: 6:39 am, March 04, 2013
NomadicForever
reviews: 13
1. Re: TACA - a (f)lying airline

I understand your *sour taste* but TACA may be the best bet to fly with ex Belize City. When I worked in Belize a few years back TACA offered better service and reliability than any of the other carriers. You could have argued over the class change. You were happy to have the voucher.

Sliema, Malta
2. Re: TACA - a (f)lying airline

Right, I didn't argue about class change because I didn't care. I am happy to have the voucher. I hate being lied to so blatantly...

UK
reviews: 81
3. Re: TACA - a (f)lying airline

I hate being lied to so blatantly...

======

How do you know that someone else didn't get a broken first class seat and is now moaning to their friends "i paid big $$ for a first class seat and it was broken, it wouldn't recline at all" or "my seat was really annoying it kept slowly reclining throughout the flight and I had to continually pull it back upright".

(Indeed, how did you know that all first class seats were "in mint condition" - did you test the recline on all of them? The IFE? The footrest? etc)

Sliema, Malta
4. Re: TACA - a (f)lying airline

Haha, no, imagine me going around and checking every seat, looking all disturbed... then finding it and saying to the person in it: sorry, your sit is broken - then me making crazy mad face and saying - "get out, IT IS MY BROKEN SEAT." lol

The clerk said that 'the seat is beyond repair and cannot be occupied until it is fixed, we have to move you to economy as there are no free seats in first class'.

Now reading my first post, i didn't explain it clearly - he didn't offer a voucher voluntary - I had to ask for it.

I understand airline cannot control what its employees say, but there should be some basic ethics training.

UK
reviews: 81
5. Re: TACA - a (f)lying airline

In which case your comments seem, fair enough.

Tallahassee, Florida
reviews: 12
6. Re: TACA - a (f)lying airline

TACA. It's an OK airline if you don't mind them changing your flight 12 hours from mid AM to late evening without allowing us to reschedule to some more reasonable time; we had to pay for two hotel rooms, one in Lima and another in Santiago for the same night as the plane arrived at 3:45 AM. Then when they ripped a wheel off one of our luggage pieces, they refused to pay for a $15 dollar wheel that I had to reinstall myself aftter they had me complete several forms et. al.. Based upon that, I couldn't recommend either TACA or Avianca it's parent. In fact, I'll go a bit further and advise everyone to avoid these folks. TACA made our trip inconvenient, cost us as much as anyone else when the extra hotel room was needed and they were unwilling to pay for the damage they caused. Chavez would be proud of them.

Edited: 4:39 pm, April 02, 2013
7. Re: TACA - a (f)lying airline

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 04, 2014