We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

reviews: 1
Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

Hi,

I booked to go to New York from Glasgow tomorrow through Border Travel.

I've just noticed on my flight ticket and ESTA form that they have spelled my name wrong. Spelled it Stephen not Steven.

Tried contacting the airline and didn't get anywhere. I just want to know if this will be okay for my flight tomorrow?

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
1. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

Technically the name on your passport/ticket/ESTA should match and Stephen & Steven could be different people.

I would be more concerned with the ESTA as you might get a "jobsworth" at US Immigration but you can solve this by simply applying for a new ESTA in the correct name, your existing ESTA will automatically be cancelled although it will cost you another $14.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/esta.html…

As you're flying tomorrow it's too late to get the Travel Agent to sort it out but I'd get to the airport early in case there are any problems but you'll probably be ok as it's not a major difference.

UK
reviews: 77
2. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

I've just noticed on my flight ticket and ESTA form that they have spelled my name wrong

======

I wonder how much they charged you to fill your ESTA in for you?

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
3. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

Good luck Steven. Make sure you post back to let us know the outcome.

4. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

We spoke to a travel agent we know and she told us not to re-apply for an ESTA until we have spoken to United Airlines tomorrow morning.

I don't know whether to just apply for another ESTA now or wait until the morning?

UK
5. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

Its only $14 and the ESTA should match your passport.

Just do it, it will take 5 minutes.

Take it with you, printed.

And the other one.

Haarlem, The...
reviews: 145
6. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

I would definitely apply for a new ESTA, so at least that part is correct. You should contact the travel agency about the ticket. Do you have prove that you gave them your real name?

7. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

The issue I have though is if they let me travel with my flight ticket as Stephen and then the ESTA wouldn't match that!

I could kill the travel agent who made this error, I gave her my passport so she had it in front of her.

London, United...
reviews: 22
8. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

I would apply for the esta, they don't ask for a copy or documentation, but they can see it in the system. And it needs to be right. So take a copy of the correct one, in case of an issue. It's compared to the passport, and they will be looking for an esta for Steven with a v. If it does not exist, you very probably won't get through.

Re the ticket. It should be as per the passport also. It might be ok, it probably will, but it might not. Less risk I think with this.

Did you not check your documentation? I do think you bear some responsibility here, to check the details are correct, when you receive confirmation. Why are you only finding out now? Sure you could kill the travel agent, but you should also be kicking yourself.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
9. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

Print out your current ESTA and then get a new one. The ESTA isn't for the Airline, it is for Immigration. As far as they are concerned, you could spell Steven "Dumblebits" but it needs to match your passport. Keep the existing ESTA with the wrong spelling for the airline in case they want to see it. Ultimately, I don't think it will be of consequence.

UK
10. Re: Name Misspelled on Flight Ticket and ESTA help!!

Surely if your passport says steven and ticket stephen and the airline is still willing to let you fly in that state, it makes more sense they would also let you fly with an ESTA that matched your passport rather than a wrong entry on your ESTA ?

It also makes more sense they would let you fly with two documents out of three correct, rather than 1.

Also, when you arrive in USA at immigration desk with an ESTA thats incorrect and doesn't match your passport, the immigration agent will not care two hoots that your ticket is matching an ESTA with an incorrect name.

Well, thats my take anyway, that you want the most number of documents correct.

Then, tomorrow morning, all you need have is the careless travel agent to either amend your name on the ticket, or put a note against it.