We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

Manchester...
reviews: 19
Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

Hi all,

I'm looking into flights to FCO from either NYC or BOS(I live in between the two). The cheapest options are either

1. via JFK on Turkish Air,with a 10 hr daytime LO in Istanbul on the way there,and 9 hr overnight LO in Istanbul on the way back.

--If I do this option,any recommendations for quick trips into the city on the day layover,or places to stay for the overnight one?

2.via JFK or Boston on Aer Lingus through Dublin,with a 2 hr LO each way

3.via Boston on Aer Lingus through Dublin with an 8 hr LO on way there,2 hr on way back

---is this enough time to pop into Dublin for a quick sightseeing excursion?

I know Turkish Air is Star Alliance,which is my primary FF program but according to United's page,they have a partnership with AL even though they are not memebers of SA...can I still get miles from them?

I dont mind the longer layovers if I can fit in a quick visit to somewhere else,and I have more interest in Dublin than Istanbul,but truthfully,I would probably go to Ireland itself one day,so maybe Istanbul is the better stopover place. I do like the quicker layovers,on the other hand,too..but is 2 hrs enough time to transfer (checked bags and all) on an intl flight through Dublin?

Thanks for any info!

Stacey

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent
reviews: 58
1. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

Dublin airport is slightly closer to Dublin itself, and there is a fast and very cheap coach link directly into Dublin immediately outside the airport. Depending on traffic, should take about half an hour to get to O'Connell Street.

Istanbul ... the airport is slightly further away, and a taxi is perhaps the fastest way to get into Istanbul itself.. about 45 plus minutes, again depending on traffic.

Of the 2 cities, Istanbul is the oldest, largest and most historic.

As you think you'll be making a trip to Ireland any way, I'd suggest the Turkish Airlines/Istanbul stop over. A beautiful city and very easy to see the "Top 3 " sights in one short visit. Food is also very good too. The Istanbul forum can give you the heads up on good accommodation choices for a short stay. I used them when planning my own trip, and they were very helpful.

As for Aer Lingus and Turkish Air, only flown with them short haul, so can't comment on their long haul service.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
2. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

>> I know Turkish Air is Star Alliance,which is my primary FF program but according to United's page,they have a partnership with AL even though they are not memebers of SA...can I still get miles from them? <<

According to united.com, you can earn award miles (but not Premier qualifying miles) on Aer Lingus flights between North America and Ireland, and between London and Dublin, Cork or Belfast. So, your connecting flight to FCO would not earn miles in MileagePlus, and if flying economy the accrual is only between 50-75% depending on the fare bucket - united.com/CMS/…

With Turkish, all the fare buckets shown earn 100% accrual for both miles and PQMs - united.com/CMS/…

>> but is 2 hrs enough time to transfer (checked bags and all) on an intl flight through Dublin? <<

It's tight because for your flight back to the US you will clear US Immigration and Customs at Dublin using the pre-clearance facility. The benefit is that you'll arrive at JFK or BOS as if you were a domestic passenger.

znojmo
reviews: 12
3. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

Just returned from India and Istanbul and 4 flights with Turkish airlines who were excellent.

First time i stayed in the historic Sultanhahmet area which can take upto 45 mins from the airport.

2nd time i stayed in a hotel about 15 mins from the airport. In this basement of this hotel you will find a gym, steam room, sauna, jaccuzzi and pool which can be booked at reasonable cost independant of the hotel.

The area wasn,t particularly interesting but was fine with a few restaurants around.

You could also visit one of the worlds best aquariums (apparently) which is a very short ride from the airport..

Edited: 4:00 pm, March 03, 2013
Stratford upon Avon
reviews: 19
4. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

Aer Lingus every time. And Dublin is a greaat city. Lovely people.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
5. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

Been to both. Istanbul is a much more interesting city. Much more to do on a layover. Take a taxi to sultanhamet and see Hagia Sophia, blue mosque, and walk around. You can do that in 4 or 5 hrs. Dublin is a nice city with nightlife but nowhere near as interesting.

Have flown both airlines long haul. Turkish is better but aer lingus has gotten better recently. Used to be uncomfortable, no in seat video, and bad food. On the ord to dub route I fly, they have newer better planes now. Turkish airlines was great.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
6. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

Been to both. Istanbul is a much more interesting city. Much more to do on a layover. Take a taxi to sultanhamet and see Hagia Sophia, blue mosque, and walk around. You can do that in 4 or 5 hrs. Dublin is a nice city with nightlife but nowhere near as interesting.

Have flown both airlines long haul. Turkish is better but aer lingus has gotten better recently. Used to be uncomfortable, no in seat video, and bad food. On the ord to dub route I fly, they have newer better planes now. Turkish airlines was great.

And check the flight class when booking as depending your ticket class you may or may not get credit. I find getting credit for partner airlines can be hit or miss. Often the discount fares do not qualify fir miles on a partner airline.

Limerick, Ireland
7. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

Dub has c b p present

Youtube following :

" U.S. PRE-CLEARANCE AT DUBLIN AIRPORT "

enjoy.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 263
8. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

First we are comparing here a 5880 nautical miles trip (from NYC, via IST - http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=nyc-ist-fco) with a 4356 NM one (via DUB). The difference is about 1500nm (more than 1700 miles or almost 2800km) so several additional hours airborne.

Then Istanbul is certainly a great city to visit, but in 10 hours you'll only get a sense of it (although, yes, many landmarks are close to each others). In addition, you'll need to sort out a visa (if you are a US or UK citizen according to http://cibtvisas.co.uk).

So DUB is probably the best choice. Going down-town would take about 30 minutes each way (vis "Aircoach service", EUR 8 per way). Is it worth it? On a sunny day, probably. And you could visit Trinity College and its amazing Old Library. And, yes, you'd be able to clear customs in Dublin and arrive "domestic" in the US hence avoiding the sometime horrendous queue at passport control (http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/US-Preclearance.aspx for the details).

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 119
9. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

Definitely fly Turkish-- in any cabin they offer a good product (crew could be more consistent, but the food, entertainment, cabin etc is very nice). Istanbul is an enchanting city and that layover time would give you an opportunity to see some amazing sites, like the blue mosque, aya sofia etc, and eat some amazing food. sultanahmet tourist area is quite compact and just walking around the city is amazing. go go go! :)

by the way, the istanbul forum is very friendly, so the posters there can give you lots of info on how best to plan your layover there.

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
10. Re: Flight choice-Turkish Air or Aer Lingus?

My choice would be Turkish and Istanbul is a great city to visit.