We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

I booked a round trip flight to an international destination in December on Air Canada's website for a flight at the end of April. In February I received an e-mail from Air Canada advising of their low price guarantee offering a refund of the difference if there was a cheaper flight offered on any other travel website. I checked and found two cheaper flights, by about $170 (or 10%) a ticket.

When I submitted a claim I was told that the program applied only if you submit a claim within 24 hours of booking on the AC website. When I pointed out the introduction of the program only in February they advised the program has existed since 2009 as the "Lowest Fare Guarantee" BUT it was "re-launched" with a branding change and also "expanded to include international itineraries". My flight is international so I presume that the program did not exist for it when I booked in December.

Lessons learned: 1. Check prices as third party suppliers can apparently sell Air Canada flights cheaper than Air Canada can. 2. Don't rely on Air Canada's customer service to help if you have a problem.

20 replies to this topic
Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

"2. Don't rely on Air Canada's customer service to help if you have a problem."

Sorry but those are the rules of the program and always have been. It is designed to guarantee the lowest price *at the time you book*, not some months later when prices will have fluctuated.

You didn't inform yourself when you made the booking. You admit that it was your own assumption that there was no guarantee. You didn't check. And even if there hadn't been, programs like this are rarely applied to bookings that were made before the program was implemented.

You can't blame AC for enforcing the rules that apply to all of us.

Edited: 1:15 pm, March 03, 2013
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
2. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Thanks but the program didn't exist for international flights at the time of booking. If it wasn't meant to apply then why target those who had booked with an e-mail to announce the program only to then tell them they were not eligible?

Newmarket, Canada
reviews: 33
3. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Bob,

The exact text of their guarantee begins, in bold print, as follows...

"If, within 24 hours after completing a purchase on aircanada.com or aircanada.com/agent, you find a price for the exact same Air Canada flight that's at least $5 less, Air Canada will offer you a credit of $50 plus the price difference, per passenger."

The rest is posted at the page below.

aircanada.com/en/…

The first words in the guarantee explicitly say "within 24 hours after completing a purchase". I don't see how that could be interpreted any other way. They didn't specifically target you because of your existing booking. More likely, they sent the e-mail to everyone they have an e-mail address for, just like any other promotion.

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
4. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

" If it wasn't meant to apply then why target those who had booked with an e-mail to announce the program only to then tell them they were not eligible?"

As DCH says, it was a general announcement sent to anyone who had agreed to receive marketing emails from AC. I got one. It was not sent in relation to the specific booking you had made.

Nowhere did it say or even imply that bookings that had already been made were eligible, and a quick read of the terms helpfully posted by DCH would have told you that it did not apply to your booking.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 77
5. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

"1. Check prices as third party suppliers can apparently sell Air Canada flights cheaper than Air Canada can."

I think that you will find out that this statement is incorrect. You didn't purchase the fare through another party, so you don't know how much they sell it for. You *do* know how much they are advertising it for, but that isn't the same thing now is it? Many third party sellers advertise fares they cannot provide (it is in their fine print). Many make you pay for the ticket and then they go searching on your behalf. A day or so later they come back and tell you they were unable to find it at price X, but do have it at price X+100.

If you want to win the game, you have to pay attention to the rules.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
reviews: 182
6. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

<If you want to win the game, you have to pay attention to the rules.>

Great post, Geo - no truer words....

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 4
7. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

CAUTION: BOOKING A PACKAGE DEAL ON HOTELS.COM CAN LEAVE YOU STRANDED. HOTELS.COM WILL HELP WITH HOTEL AND LEAVE YOU STRANDED RE. AIRFARE.

CAUTION: AIR CANADA IS NOT A 24/7 OPERATION!!!

I just spent two days in Dulles thanks to Air Canada's failure to run a 24/7 shop; do not fly with these folks!!! The true test of any company is how they deal with problems in real time.

Instead of Spring Break in Athens with the kids for a week, I got Sat-Sun in Washington Dulles airport, hotels bills in DC, and a flight home to Denver courtesy of United. It's now 5 days since I first tried to fly with Air Candad and my bags are still lost. Also, the AC luggage number was not working all weekend. Meanwhile, my NY friends are enjoying Greece courtesy of Lufthanza.

If you travel on a weekend and need help in transit, or if you ever encounter probelms when you travel, then pick a different airline. The issue of my $5500 in airfare - well, that's another story that has me working locally here in denver to very publicly shine some light on our recent experiences!!! The only fun we had over two days was taking photos, documenting the chaos, and interviewing airline staff who admitted that they could not help us. Thank God for one United staffer who worked 8 hours straight - using internal Air Canada numbers - to try to salvage our vacation at customer service in DC - in vain. One can't make this up!!!

Caveat emptor: Buyer beware.

UK
reviews: 81
8. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

From a report on 25th

======

Airlines have canceled more than 540 flights so far today – and more than 1,440 since Sunday – thanks to the late-season winter storm that's swept from the Rockies to the East Coast.

=====

And this is AIr Canada's fault, right?

Anyway, never mind, I'm sure you'll be able to get full recompense on your travel insurance.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 13
9. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

Joe

"Anyway, never mind, I'm sure you'll be able to get full recompense on your travel insurance." - My bet is that they didn't buy any insurance because things never go wrong and even if they do they somebody else must be to blame even in instances of "act of god".

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 125
10. Re: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee

If it's because of a winter storm how can you blame Air Canada?

Reply to: Air Canada Low Price Guarantee
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted