We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

Torrance, California
United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

I booked a flight from LAX to Cleveland, Ohio. I had to connect through Denver and was scheduled to arrive in Cleveland at 12:30 AM for a one day business meeting which began at 7:30 AM. When I arrived in Denver, they told me the flight was cancelled and offered to fly me to D.C. and then to Cleveland which would get me into Cleveland after 8:30 AM. I told them Frontier had a flight which would get me to Phoenix and then to Cleveland at 7 AM but they refused to pay for the Frontier ticket. They also refused to allow me to use the United lounge while I waited for the flight to DC and also refused to upgrade me to First Class. They gave me a $200 credit for future use which is truly pretty worthless to me. Is this standard operating procedure? Do they owe me anything else for the tremendous inconvenience, for making me late to the meeting, for the fact that I wasn't able to get even a few hours sleep? Also, the cancellation was not due to any weather-related issues. Thank you for the information.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 59
1. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

There is no guarantees that an airline will get you there on time. Being that they were able to get you there within one hour of your suggested time of arrival. I feel they were more than generous with the $200. I would expect nothing for such a minor delay.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 90
2. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

All they owed you was to get you to your final destination. They did not owe you a seat in F or lounge access, and they have no obligation to purchase a ticket for you on another airline. If you ever want to know what the airline's contract with you is, read the Contract of Carriage, which you agreed to when you purchased your ticket. I also don't feel getting there at 8:30 instead of 7:30 was really a big issue:

united.com/web/…Contract_of_Carriage.pdf

Torrance, California
3. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

Okay, Thank you. The worse part was spending the entire night awake, exhausted for the meeting and the wasted hotel. Also, the training meeting was from 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM and the I missed the first 2 hours, which were very important. But thank you very much for the response.

Watford, United...
reviews: 12
4. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

They owe you about $200 less than the $200 credit offered to you. They can not take personal circumstances and whether you'll miss meetings etc into account.

Edited: 2:08 pm, March 02, 2013
Torrance, California
5. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

The delay was not minor since I was supposed to arrive at 12:30 AM and did not arrive until 8:30 AM. That's an 8 hour difference. But I guess this is not considered significant among those of you who are more familiar with these issues. Thank you for your responses.

London, United...
reviews: 23
6. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

I am maybe reading this incorrectly, as its a tad confusing, but I understand he was originally to land at 12.30 am, and they got him there for 8.30 am? So an 8 hour delay not 1 hour?

Torrance, California
7. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

That is correct. Instead of arriving at 12:30 AM, I arrived at the airport at 8:30 AM. This was an 8 hour delay and I spent hours in Denver in the middle of the night, then some time in DC, then I finally got to Cleveland. 8 Hours later. I missed the first 2 hours of a very important meeting. Thank you.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
8. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

I missed the first 2 hours of a very important meeting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then you should have taken an earlier flight.

London, United...
reviews: 23
9. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

Unfortunately they don't owe you anything, in the eu you would be entitled to I think four hundred euros, but in the us, no such rule applies.

I agree though, an eight hour delay, through the night, is not minor,and having no where to rest and sleep is painful, but no they don't owe you anything,

I also think 200 usd credit is pretty crap for spending the night in the airport.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
reviews: 81
10. Re: United Cancelled my Flight. What does United owe me?

Originally planning to get in 12:30 AM for a very important meeting at 7:30 AM, in a time zone three hours ahead of the one your body clock is in? Obviously,that meeting was not as important as you claim. You had only budgeted for 5 hours sleep at most.

OP didn't spend the night in the airport. They spent most of the night flying. Backing out the timing, the hours spent in DEN weren't in what most people would refer to as the "middle of the night". He would have left DEN at midnight arriving IAD at 5:30 connecting to the next flight to CLE.