We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

Richmond, Virginia...
Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

I'm traveling to Nice, France from the US. My, departure and return flight will have a layover in Moscow. The layover in Moscow to Nice is 2 hours, the return layover is 5 hours in Moscow. Will I need to apply for a transit Visa for this flight?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
reviews: 205
1. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

Curious as to why you booked through Moscow? You've essentially DOUBLED your travel time by doing so and potentially dramatically complicated a very simple trip. Are you on the same carrier? Do you know if you're going in/out of the same airport? The only way you could avoid the complexity of getting a visa is if you were staying in the international transit area. It's very possible that you are. You should probably check with the carrier.

Seriously, though, I would give consideration to changing your ticket as you're really asking for a challenge here. East coast to Nice is a 10-13 hour trip depending on carrier. Routing via Moscow will probably take that into the 22-24 hour range.

Best of luck.

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

I imagine it was a cheaper routing, and that's why it was booked.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
3. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

Or it could be an award ticket booked through Delta or another SkyTeam carrier.

The good news is that Aeroflot flies to SVO-NCE now, and on March 5 (this coming Tuesday) introduces DME-NCE.

Palmetto, Florida
reviews: 10
4. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

You dont need one if you stay in airport airside and take off from same airport. IF you have to leave DME to catch second flight at SVO to Nice then you need one. That would be a bummer. DOn't even think about catching a glimpse of Moscow with that layover :)

(just reinforcing what #1 said)

Richmond, Virginia...
5. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

I was a cheaper flight compared to the others. Including taxes, the ticket was only $1094 vs. $1449 min my friends paid. I will be traveling IAD-SVO-NCE / NCE-SVO-IAD - Areoflot both ways. I will not be leaving the airport, however, I will be transferring from Terminal D to E. An the time does not bother me, that what paid vacations are for. :)

kentucky
reviews: 37
6. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

I certainly wouldn't double my time for less than $200 each way. Your friends will be enjoying French wines while you languish in SVO...

Richmond, Virginia...
7. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

The point of my reply, is to point out that time is not an issue for me. I just need an answer to my original question. Thanks.

Yorkshire
reviews: 7
8. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

You will not need the transit visa Alfred.

As far as I remember, such an inter-terminal transfer in SVO has been discussed several times on Russia/Moscow forum.

Richmond, Virginia...
9. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

Thanks igro01! And thanks for the link.

Illinois
reviews: 16
10. Re: Traveling from US to Nice, France layover in Moscow

As best I can tell, you don't need one, but I would get one in case of flight delays. Here is what the US State Dept says about transit visas for the Russian Federation:

"Transit Visas: If you intend to transit through Russia by land en route to a third country, you must have a Russian transit visa issued by a Russian Embassy or Consulate. If you are transiting through one international airport in Russia, and will depart again in 24 hours to an onward international destination, without leaving the customs zone, Russian law does not require you to have a transit visa. However, this law is sometimes misinterpreted by travelers and customs officials alike, and we strongly recommend you obtain a Russian transit visa even if you are transiting in less than 24 hours since unexpected flight delays, rerouting, or other unforeseen travel challenges could cause you to be stranded in an airport for an extended period of time or create other complications if you do not have a transit visa. Even for flights from Russia to Belarus, considered domestic flights by Russian and Belarusian bilateral agreements, American citizens will need a transit visa. Foreigners who arrive in Russia without a valid visa and who do not meet visa-free transit requirements, may be forced to return to the point of origin at their own expense."

…state.gov/travel/…entry_requirements