We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

London, United...
Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

Hi!

I am planning together with my girlfriend to have a 3 month trip to US. The idea is to buy a car there and to drive from one coast to another.

As the dates for the flight (within the next 2 months) and the locations from where to fly (anywhere in UK) and where to (FL, AL, GA would be preferred choices though) are quite flexible for us, the main criteria is the price.

Therefore could somebody point out some cheap routes/connections or a way to look for a flight this way when the destination/date is not paramount? Stops/uncomfortable planes etc are not an issue.

I have heard about people flying to US for absurdly low amounts of money and I'm figuring every dollar we would save on a ticket will come in handy during our lengthy adventure.

Thanks in advance,

Christian

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
1. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

www.skyscanner.net

You can search to fly from any airport in the UK to any airport in the US for a range of dates (whole months and even a year). It will list the cheapest pairings first.

Edited: 11:07 am, February 28, 2013
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 130
2. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

Hi LeicsLad - does Skyscanner have the option to search for an open-jaw return I didn't think it did? This sounds more like what the OP requires if he's wanting to drive across the US - unless he's planning on driving back to where he flew into? ;-)

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
3. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

Do you plan to sell the car after your drive or give it away? Do you plan to have insurance for it, and what US address will you use for auto registration, licensing and the insurance coverage? In the US cars are licensed and registered (two different things) by the individual states, not the central government, and insurance coverage is compulsory in most states. If you get into a collision and - God forbid - someone is hurt, any "shortcuts" you've taken with the legal status of the car or your insurance will invalidate your coverage, and you'll be in very deep kimchee indeed. Just a heads-up.

Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
4. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Salisbury, United...
reviews: 69
5. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

If you are going for more than 90 days you can't apply for an ESTA. Hopefully someone else can tell you how long a visa takes.

…state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1262.html

Leicester, United...
reviews: 1
6. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

"does Skyscanner have the option to search for an open-jaw return"

No but it will give you an idea of what cities and dates are cheapest to fly from and to. Armed with that info you can then search for the open jaw on matrix or elsewhere if the OP is not planning a circular route.

Edited: 12:14 pm, February 28, 2013
UK
reviews: 89
7. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

Be careful when buying "as cheap as possible" because most of the issues in here, including numerous people who were outright scammed and many more who paid more than they should have, was because their only consideration was "is this as cheap as possible?" a point taken without any investigation into who they were buying from and how they were paying.

<<I have heard about people flying to US for absurdly low amounts of money>>

I bet you dont know any one though do you? Because these are just third hand stories.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
reviews: 101
8. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

Air Berlin?

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 17
9. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

IcelandAir?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
reviews: 74
10. Re: Flight from UK to US as cheap as possible

>>I have heard about people flying to US for absurdly low amounts of money <<

Can you tell us where to get these magic fares as we would like to buy them too.

About the cheapest route you will get is from London to NYC as this is one of the most competitive routes in the world. you can get a round trip for under £500. Of course then you would need to get to FL or so with an internal flight.

Just checking United were about the cheapest at £609 for an open jaw LHR to ATL (Atlanta) in April and returning July from LAX. Whatever you do the West coast flight back will possibly hike up your fare but £609 is not too bad IMO especially as the LA to LHR flight is non stop.

If you were imagining getting flights for under £300 or the like then keep dreaming. Good luck with that though.