We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taipei to Bangkok

newcastle upon tyne
reviews: 99
Taipei to Bangkok

Anyone at all familiar with this route & the pricing ?.

Just been checking on Skyscanner the cheapest prices for a direct single flight, & after trying several different dates in 2013, have found bizzarely that the direct return flight is about 40% cheaper than just the single flight, no matter what dates I try

Anybody know why this might be ?, not sure if its just a computer problem or if the prices are actually correct ?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
1. Re: Taipei to Bangkok

Hi,

Yes, the one-way fare is commonly more than 50% of the round-trip/return fares you'd find.

Unless you can find a LCC, I suspect that you'll have only a few choices as TPE-BKK is largely dominated by the the Taiwan-based carriers: China Airlines and EVA Air, though there are a few other non-stop alternatives- notably Thai.

Remember that for most airlines, a part of the contractual language, to which you'd agree to by ticketing with them, commonly includes language that prohibits the practice of so-called "throw away" ticketing.

Travel Safe,

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 4
2. Re: Taipei to Bangkok

This is very likely to be correct- single flights on most airlines are often more expensive than a return flight on the same route.

What you are seeing for the single is probably the most expensive economy fare whereas the return prices are probably from a less expensive fare bucket.

newcastle upon tyne
3. Re: Taipei to Bangkok

I just find it very strange that a single fare is over £500, but if you flew to Bangkok & back again, its only around £300.

I was intending to fly Bangkok - Shanghai - Taipei - Bangkok, booking single flights each time, but might be cheaper to book two return flights, Bangkok - Shanghai, & Shanghai - Taipei. Plenty of time to play around with various dates & scenarios anyway, before booking.

Appreciate the advice given. Thanks

newcastle upon tyne
4. Re: Taipei to Bangkok

Just thought I'd add a little more to this thread, having done a few more checks

You can fly with Air Asia from Phuket to Taipei, but strangely, its cheaper to buy a single ticket each way than the return ticket (on the dates I tried).

Just shows that route & fare pricing is not predictable at all :)

5. Re: Taipei to Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2014