We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam airline - bad experience

Bangkok, Krung...
reviews: 8
Vietnam airline - bad experience

I fly vietnam airline from ho chi minh to singapore. When u check in I reconfirn aile seat staff said yes!! However when i got on the plane my seat was changed to window seat. As I was the last person to board due to lost boarding pass I ask a lady crew to help me find a space to keep my luggage she saud it is not her job !! She was so rude ! This was first and last time i fly with this airline.

Melbourne
reviews: 1
1. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

What was the seat number on your boarding pass? You say you lost it "I was the last person to board due to lost boarding pass", could it be possible that the seat assignment changed when the boarding pass was re-issued? I have no idea if this is possible. Did you not check the seat assignment on your boarding pass when it was first issued?

Also, while I can understand the preference for an aisle seat, I just looked at the Vietnam Airlines site and it is only a 2 hour flight. Could have been worse, you might have ended up in a middle seat.

Bangkok, Krung...
2. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

I got booked 10c on the itenariry however i recomfirm upon check in that i need aile seat she said yes then she just handed boarding pass and i saw 35g and didnt reallize that it is aile seat or not. I think because of their english is so poor !!

3. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:26 am, February 27, 2013
Bangkok, Krung...
4. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

Do i say something wrong i just share my experience

Edited: 1:57 am, February 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
5. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

All airlines do last minute seat swaps from time to time.

>> I think because of their english is so poor !! <<

She's Vietnamese and living and working in Vietnam. What do you expect? Perhaps you should learn to speak "their" language before you blame "them".

And you were last on the plane because you lost your boarding pass. Er, whose fault is that?

Frankly, if you're going to stop flying airlines every time you encounter those issues, then eventually you're going to have to allow a lot more time to get from HCMC to Singapore. Bus through Cambodia, train to Hualamphong, then to Singapore with a change at Butterworth would be the best route. That's about 4 days I believe.

Bangkok, Krung...
6. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

If they love to work in the service international industry it is a must to communucate in english.

Edited: 2:59 am, February 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
reviews: 5
7. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

>> If they love to work in the service international industry it is a must to communucate in english.<<

Rubbish. The best flight attendants I've been served by are Korean (Asiana) and their English is in the general picture very limited. And, as you list a home city as Bangkok, I've had excellent service and communication from Thai agents at BKK whose English has been rather limited too.

If you try to communicate, and be nice, you get the same in return. It appears you didn't try.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
reviews: 71
8. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

Hi,

To me, I'm still not crystal clear on the timing and series of events..

IF the OP checked in online, printed his/her BP, but then lost it, that's easily rectified by getting a new one at the main check in counters- as you'd need one to pass thru Immigration control.

However, it *sounds* like perhaps the lost BP occurred after immigration, but before boarding.. If that's the case, then perhaps the gate staff considered the OP as a 'no-show' and his/her seat was reassigned as such..

However, post #2 makes it seem like a much more routine matter-- that being as noted in #3, as a simple case of airline reassigning a passengers seat (which is their sole right to do) after time of initial online assignment, but before boarding/departure.

So, I guess I'm not clear here on the issues of: 1) the lost BP and 2) last one to board... To me, these issues might have been a factor here, but again, I'd need to know better the timeline and sequence of events.

As to the staff understanding, speaking etc of English... Yes, there is a reasonable expectation of such as English is the accepted and official (operational) language of aviation on a global basis.. but, it's not always uniform and the level of proficiency isn't the same.. I don't think this is a mark of a failure per se, but is simply a reflection of where you are and who you're flying.

I cannot discount that there will always be, understandably so, a strong pre-disposition to the staff speaking of and understanding of what is the local language where the event takes place, or the language of the carrier.. That kind of is a case of "it is what it is"...

I'd expect that to a degree, if you were to look at the passenger profiles involved that they'd tend to reflect this reality-- a large percentage speaking the local language at the origin city, or the language of the destination country.

Lastly, to the issue of the cabin crew not helping.. To me, IF the issue was that they wouldn't help the OP *find room* for his/her bag, then I think that's a failure.... BUT.. IF the issue was the cabin staff wouldn't also help physically *move* the bag, THEN i think that's something different.

While the OP does use the words "help find", I leave open the possibility that this includes the moving, lifting etc, of bags or similar..

Some carriers do in fact either prohibit or strongly discourage crew from lifting bags due to possible injury risk.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 3:19 am, February 27, 2013
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 23
9. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

I recently went to a country (Indonesia) where I had trouble communicating with a member of the service industry

When I got home and was asked how it was I told them "I had problems, because I couldn't speak Indonesian".

I was in their country - I shouldn't expect them to speak my language.

Bangkok, Krung...
10. Re: Vietnam airline - bad experience

I have been working in service industry for more than 20 years know how to service the many kinds of people around the world. At least she should know how to answer to the customer not only said it is not my job !!!!