We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Toronto, Canada
Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Hi everyone,

I'm going from Toronto to San Francisco then on to Seoul this Thursday. I have some questions so hopefully this community can help me out.

1) When I'm in Toronto, can I go through US customs at Pearson?

2) Can I get a boarding pass for both Air Canada and Singapore Airlines at the same time when I check in and get my boarding pass for Air Canada?

3) Since my final destination is Seoul, when I arrive in San Francisco, do I need to pick up my luggage again and check that in with Singapore Airlines? Or will Air Canada take my luggage directly to Seoul?

4) My arrival time in San Fran is at 11:15am and departure is 12:50pm on the same day. Is this sufficient time?

Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
1. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

1. You go through US immigration/customs at Pearson. Allow sufficient time for this

2. Yes, you should get both boarding passes when you check in with AC in Toronto

3. Luggage will be checked all the way to Seoul

4. Yes.

All this assumes that you are travelling on one ticket -ie you did not book 2 separate flights each with own ticket.

Edited: 7:14 pm, February 26, 2013
Toronto, Canada
2. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Thank you so much MapleG! Yes, this is all on one ticket.

When I arrive at the airport in Pearson, do I go to US immigration and customs first? Then do I check in my luggage and get my boarding passes?

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
3. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Andrew G-you go to Air Canada counters first to check in (as if you are going on a US flight) Then go to US immigration/customs after you have checked in.

Suggest you check in 3 hours prior to departure

Toronto, Canada
4. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Thanks MapleG, much appreciated!

Toronto, Canada
5. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Just to give you the whole story, the order for US-bound flights from Toronto is:

Step 1. Check-in/tag baggage.

Step 2. Clear US immigration and customs.

Step 3. Drop off any checked baggage.

Step 4. Clear security.

Step 5. Enter the gate area (which has the usual restaurants, shops, etc.).

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Sweet, thanks for the step by step MattinTO!!

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Oh just another thing. In step 1, when I check in my luggage, do I keep it with me instead of giving it in to Air Canada because I need to take it with me to US customs/immigration?

New Delhi, India
reviews: 16
8. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Yes

Toronto, Canada
9. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

When I arrive in San Francisco can I just go straight to my gate for my next connecting flight? I won't have to go through customs or security again right?

Toronto, Canada
10. Re: Toronto to San Francisco to Seoul. AC and Singapore Air

Yes on the question in #7 -- the Air Canada folks won't take your checked luggage at that point because they know it has to clear US customs.

Yes/probably on the question in #9. Yes you won't deal with customs again, probably you won't deal with security but it depends whether the layout in San Francisco allows you to get from Air Canada's gate to Singapore Airlines' gate within the same secure area. Maybe an SFO expert will know.

Edited: 8:32 am, February 27, 2013