We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

Wembley, United...
reviews: 18
Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

Will be flying in 3 weeks time , normally wouldn't dream of asking someone to lift my bag off the carousel at the airport but at the moment I am suffering from a shoulder injury ( torn ligament ) , any onlooker would not know I have an injury there is no outward signs . Do you think it's acceptable for me ( a middle aged woman travelling solo) to ask a strong looking fellow traveller to remove my suitcase from the carousel for me ?would you be offended if I did this and asked you ? My son ( who is not travelling with me ) said if somebody asked him he wouldn't mind . I'm not so sure I think it's a bit of a liberty and would appreciate people's opinions .

Incidentally I am passed fit to fly by the doc .

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 44
1. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

Sure...I'm a middle-aged woman but tall and strong, and I will happily help if someone asks me.

I know my sons (26 and 24) would too.

London, United...
reviews: 23
2. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

Yes, of course it's ok, neither I or my husband would have an issue.

Stand next to a likely looking person, and when your bag comes through, ask for help.

The issue may come in if you ask someone in advance, and then they have to stand and wait for your bag ie theirs is first off and yours is last, no one wants to hang about, so ask when you actually see the bag.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
3. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

Of course. If I (fairly short woman) see my bag approaching and I know I won't be able to reach it, I ask a taller person to grab it for me. It would never occur to me to think that it's "a bit of a liberty". But as Froggy says, only once the bag is in sight.

Melbourne
reviews: 7
4. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

I have asked people to pull my bag off the carousel for me, usually if I've been stuck behind someone and can't get to it, and I've also had people help me without being asked if I'm struggling to get it off myself.

As long as you don't ask/expect someone to wait with you after they've collected their bags I don't think anyone would mind helping you at all.

Wembley, United...
5. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

Thankyou , you have put my mind at rest , I was really worried about how I would get my bag without further injuring myself . I will eye up a likely looking 'candidate' and hope their bag doesn't arrive before mine : )

St Helens, United...
reviews: 49
6. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

As a 'strong looking fellow traveller' I've been asked a couple of times to help people with their luggage. More than happy to oblige. I did once take the initiative and help someone who looked to be struggling. The handle only went and snapped off in my hand!! Thankkfully took it in good spirits.

Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
7. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

A polite request will always get a positive response in my experience.

Wembley, United...
8. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

Excellent - thankyou everybody , I hope whoever I ask at the airport are as helpfull as you all have been : )

Thanks once again !

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
reviews: 143
9. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

I have no problem in helping other passengers with their luggage at the carousel either - especially at some airports where it can be five deep and if I'm at the front.

I have proactively helped on several occasaions previously.

Surrey UK
reviews: 28
10. Re: Asking for help at baggage carousel , etiquette ?

In fact if you ask a 7 stone weakling you might even flatter him into helping :-)